hi.

i have 500gb HDD, first i install window 7(64-bit) then after fedora14 on separate partition using Fedora-14-i686-Live-Desktop cd.

so when my laptop is booting it shows a boot screen with two option, fedora OS(as default) and win7 as other.After 3 second, Fedora is automatically starting. I just want to make window7 as my automatic booting OS.

so how to make win7 as my default or primary OS at boot time by which i can load it automatically ?.

any help would be appreciated.

regards
mundvawala

Edited by mundvawala: n/a

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by mundvawala

Some systems will give an option of pressing F12 (i think it is) to show the boot menu. Otherwise try F8, if that fails grab a Free Boot manager app, burn to CD or USB and choose the Windows 7.

thnx for reply

bt it shows boot option ...bt in that boot option my first OS is fedora which is booting after 3 second by default .so my question is that how could i make window7 as my first OS.. by which i can boot it automatically.

regards
mundvawala

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=245738
This might help

I don't know if ubuntu is any different with GRUB, but I have ubuntu and this is what I did:
Get the startup Manager Application
Assuming this is the GRUB bootloader
Boot ubuntu, and type: "sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg" into the console(no quotes)
(enter password)

You should get something that looks like this in the text editor:

#
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
#

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
  set have_grubenv=true
  load_env
fi
set default="1"

If the text file is blank, try "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst"

This last line, set default="1" is the thing that you need to change.
The count starts at 0 so to boot the very first option in the menu, put 0, for the second option put 1, third option put 2, etc...

Then save+close. Reboot and it should change the default. (Be sure not to change anything else or it could cause boot problems)

Edited by makman99: n/a

thnk u.makman99..thnk u very much for yr help.

for fedora 14, "sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst" ..i jst executed this command and chaged the default value of it as per my requirements...and it works !!...

thnnx once again ...

Votes + Comments
thank u dude.......
This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.