I have Ubuntu Server 10.10.

My setup is as follows:

From the Ubuntu Server, I have an ethernet cable connecting to my Windows Computer, which has a wireless connection to my modem(and the internet). How would I be able to make it so that I can connect to the internet from my Ubuntu Server?

I heard that some routing software would be the solution but I have no idea which program to get or how to use it.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Google windows forwarding.

For some reason I still can't connect to anything, I try sudo apt-get update and I get errors about not being able to resolve things. Is there any firewall/connection settings I have to setup in windows or ubuntu server?

Hello,

Are you after having the internet going to your server(wired) and communicating with the windows machine wireless to allow access to the internet?

Or are you trying to use ubuntu as a radius server with an access point so that wireless clients can join and connect to the network?

Yes, I'm trying to have the internet going to my server.

As I understand Ideally you should only have the server in the background assigning IPs, serving webpages and controlling traffic via an access point.

I think what you need internet going to a wireless access point which is connected to the internet. Wireless clients should connect to the access point which in a way is controlled by the server. A radius server would allow multiple users with their own password and username access via the access point.

I don't understand. I just want to be able to connect to the internet when using my Ubuntu Server.

Couldn't you find anything on goggle that would work?

I'm on the bus so don't have the capability to test, however this has crossed my mind.

Setup the LAN card on your windows box with an up eg 10.0.0.1 with the mask 255.255.255.252 but no gateway. Do the same on the Linux box 10.0.0.2 same mask as above and your windows box as the gateway.

At this point you should be able to ping each way.

From here set up a static route to send all the stuff from your LAN on your windows box out over the WLAN. Or maybe bridging the interfaces?

Just to clarify what are you after?

Just internet on the server aswell as XP OR controlling connections from the server and having clients connect through that?

Just internet on the server. I've already got internet on the XP machine.

@Shibbles I tried the windows forwarding thing but it didn't work.

@Moncky I've done the first part, and I can ping each way. I've tried bridging the interfaces(in windows) and that didn't work. Then I tried adding a static route with the command route add 10.0.0.2 mask 255.255.255.252 and it gave me the error The route addition failed: The specified mask parameter is invalid ( Destination & Mask) != Destination . I'm not sure what I should do here.

EDIT: sorry about the tripple post.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.