As above, they all get stuck on:

'waiting until /dev is fully populated'

A couple of lines above is something about line 71: stop_network: not found

But I think it's to do with the realtek network adaptor on the board (H55N-USB3) which isn't overly supported (had trouble getting freenas to work with it)
Any suggestions?

While I'm at it might aswell ask, what distro would you guys recommend for a media server/LAN pc?
(most of the time tis basically a file server, bu I also take it to LANs since it's small)
Currently it runs freenas and xp, but I want to only have a single OS, since I want all my stuff available to share at LANs
Been looking at Linuxmint debian, have fedora on my laptop, and am setting up an ubuntu server or two over the summer, so would like something new

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Myself I go with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 clones. The best one currently (IMHO) is Scientific Linux 6, maintained by the computer boffins at Fermi National Laboratory and CERN. Check here: www.scientificlinux.org

Thanks, will look into it, however won't be able to give it a go until I solve my boot problem, has no one installed linux on this board?? :(

I'm not familiar with that board. Do you have some info about it, or link to manufacturer/vendor web site with specifications, etc?

Thanks for the link. Is this running the i7 or the i5 CPU?

I'm running an i5 670 in it.
(also 4gb RAM, 4850, 2tb + 500gb HDD, 450W silverstone PSU)

So what do I do? Edit the iso to include the correct drivers for the realtek chip?

Download the driver to a thumb drive. Install the OS and boot into text mode. Log in, connect/mount thumb drive. Install driver. Reboot.

But I can't install the OS, that's the problem
I try to, and I'm presented with a screen showing the text above

You should be able to install the OS without networking. Is there that option in the installation screens?

I haven't seen one, just tried to boot using the CD, or a plain install, and same error, will give it another go tonight to see if I missed something obvious.

But I can't install the OS, that's the problem
I try to, and I'm presented with a screen showing the text above

Tried Ubuntu? Where did you failed?

Sorry, have managed to get distros to install now (am trying linux mint debian atm)
Am now having a whole new set of issues with wine/ati drivers :P
Any suggestions whether a different distro would be better for it?
Will just be used for samba sharing, and gaming every now and again (eve and steam)

Sorry, have managed to get distros to install now (am trying linux mint debian atm)
Am now having a whole new set of issues with wine/ati drivers :P
Any suggestions whether a different distro would be better for it?
Will just be used for samba sharing, and gaming every now and again (eve and steam)

try ubuntu and see. I have never had issues with drivers and all my machines happened to be varieties of PHP/Compaq

Started from scratch with linux mint debian.
If I can't get it working tonight, I'll try something new, could try ubuntu, but thought might be nice to try something a little less common.
Since using fedora on laptop, and ubuntu server on computer society server, means I'll learn how to use them, so thought might aswell try something else to try to increase/expand my knowledge/understanding of linux systems and how to use them.

Started from scratch with linux mint debian.
If I can't get it working tonight, I'll try something new, could try ubuntu, but thought might be nice to try something a little less common.
Since using fedora on laptop, and ubuntu server on computer society server, means I'll learn how to use them, so thought might aswell try something else to try to increase/expand my knowledge/understanding of linux systems and how to use them.

Mint is based on Ubuntu with green colors :)

Yeah, well
I'm going to give wine another go tonight, but last time when I tried it, I tried to then install eve, and it said there was 0.00gb room?
And so I couldn't do anything, any ideas why that might happen?

Yeah, well
I'm going to give wine another go tonight, but last time when I tried it, I tried to then install eve, and it said there was 0.00gb room?
And so I couldn't do anything, any ideas why that might happen?

Any Torrent in download? Mythtv? Vuze?

Nope, wasn't doing anything other than theoretically trying to install eve.
Did only have 20-30gb left on the HDD though, since I was temporarily storing some media on there, however I've now obviouisly with the reinstall got rid of that, so should be around 400gb worth of potential space, how much does wine take for the Cdrive as default, or is it dynamic?

Nope, wasn't doing anything other than theoretically trying to install eve.
Did only have 20-30gb left on the HDD though, since I was temporarily storing some media on there, however I've now obviouisly with the reinstall got rid of that, so should be around 400gb worth of potential space, how much does wine take for the Cdrive as default, or is it dynamic?

it is dynamic

So they how can it have 0.00gb of room? :/
Will hopefully get another chance tonight to install wine, and them steav/eve, see if they work.
Would you guys recommend a nvidia or an ati card to use with linux for gaming (not sure who are better driver wise)

So they how can it have 0.00gb of room? :/
Will hopefully get another chance tonight to install wine, and them steav/eve, see if they work.
Would you guys recommend a nvidia or an ati card to use with linux for gaming (not sure who are better driver wise)

Mh! I think none but the latest. Both are doing well though judging from hearing in forums, NVIDIA seems to be famous!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.