When I delete files on any given file system like hard drives that I have mounted to my system or USB stick I get a directory that usualy named '.Trash-1000'. How does that directory work? Do I need to manually delete the .Trash-1000 directory because it might remain taking up storage or does it Linux overwrite anything that's place in that directory? Thanks.

By default, deleting files on Linux systems will put the file/directory into the trash folder (works that way on Windows also). If you empty the trash folder, the files in that directory will be physically deleted. The reason for putting them there is that if you realize you didn't want to delete a file, you can recover it from there. Usually, the trash folder has a file number or size limit. When you exceed those settings, then the oldest files will be deleted first.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.