how do i install EXE softwares on Ubuntu OS????

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

The only way is to either install Wine and then see if the exe's Windows installer works and the executable likewise, or to install Windows in a virtual machine and run it there in the normal manner. I use both techniques.

Why do you want to install a windows program onto Linux? Chances are, there is a Linux version of the software or an equivalent application for Linux. What is the software itself? Maybe we can suggest a Linux equivalent.

I have to agree with Mike. Running Windows EXEs through Wine tends to be a bit slow. On top of that, there's a huge amount of software for Linux which most people don't realise is there.

On the whole, I agree 100% with Mike2k and AsmGuy; however there are a couple of Windows apps that I run in Wine that have no suitable Linux alternatives. The most important one is my UML modeling / software engineering tool, Sparx Enterprise Architect. They have gone to a lot of effort to make sure it works well with Wine since a lot of their customers use it there, yet they aren't a big enough company to support a dual-environment (Windows/Linux) code base. And yes, I have used or evaluated most of the UML tools available for Linux and NONE of them come close to the capabilities of EA, yet it costs under $200USD per seat for a Professional Version license that does everything from requirements collection to forward/reverse code engineering to live model execution/simulation.

dear mike and others actually i want to use linux on my system and my all the programs are windows based like "Microsoft Visual Studio", "Adobe Dreamweaver", "Adobe Photoshop" etc... that is why i need any other software framware who can run my WINDOWS SOFTWARE on LINUX.

Microsoft Visual Studio - Don't try to run it in Linux, and there is no point in doing so. If you want to program in Linux, you need to use tools that are native to Linux, there are no ways around that. Visual Studio is for Windows development only, there is no point in using it for any other purpose or on any other platform. Popular IDEs in Linux include KDevelop, CodeBlocks, Eclipse, Geany, Sublime-text, NetBeans, etc..

Adobe Products - This is the most typical thing people try to run in Linux because Adobe does have some very good products (Dreamweaver, Photoshop, etc.) and the competition from the open-source world is not quite up to it, yet. Generally, I think Adobe software can be run in Wine without too much trouble, but it could lead to a few quirks or glitches when using it. But you might want to explore the alternatives first. Here is a list of open-source alternatives to Dreamweaver, many of which will be sufficient for most ordinary tasks. As for Photoshop, the alternative is GIMP, which is a long-standing open-source image editor / manipulator project and is now a very rich piece of software (with probably far more features than Photoshop), and the only criticism about it is that it isn't as user-friendly as Photoshop, but still, give it a try. Most of these alternatives can be found directly from your "Software Center" (or apt-get commands).

I'll also add that with technologies like Virtualbox running in seamless mode you can get most of the best of both worlds. You still wont be able to transfer EXEs from one platform to another but you can run both platforms at the same time and run software specific to each without having to consider where the resources are coming from.

I have got hp pavilion dv6502au laptop i want to install Linux in it where do i find the drivers?

Congratulations Myronz, you have successfully hijacked this thread. Sarcasm aside, this thread was about running Windows Executables on Linux, whereas your question regards driver issues. Please start your own thread in the Linux and Unix Board

Back to topic then... I would have to fully suggest the virtual box approach myself. Having had to do the same balancing act on my own home pc. From an overall performance standpoint with the windows applications anyways.

Member Avatar for iLikePHP

You could give it a shot, although I would recommend using virtualbox.

sudo apt-get install wine

Better option is using tool like VmWare[With Linux as image/Windows as image].
This allows to switch based on need.

Wine is Okay! but not a recommended for Multimedia apps[*.exe].

PS: I have used Photoshop/Flash in wine. It was awful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.