PCLinuxOS ~ It gets the newbies started without to much of a learning curve, has great hardware detection capabilities and can still start off with only one cd. What is downloaded is used as a live cd first to ensure compatibility with your system before you even need to commit to linux.

yeah the remasterme command on PCLOS is nice too

I think that my favorite Linux distro is Ubuntu. This is just because it is what I was first introduced to and any problems I had were solved by the Ubuntu Community and Forums. I experimented with others but I always seem to come back to Ubuntu for some reason or another. I do want to get experience with Gentoo though and get it working well. Might try to get a machine to run that soon....

I think that my favorite Linux distro is Ubuntu. This is just because it is what I was first introduced to and any problems I had were solved by the Ubuntu Community and Forums. I experimented with others but I always seem to come back to Ubuntu for some reason or another. I do want to get experience with Gentoo though and get it working well. Might try to get a machine to run that soon....

One of strong part of Ubuntu is the support of very strong community!
I love how swift my problem can be solved. By the way I use Ubuntu too. Of course multiboot with Vista!

i had to get rid of linux on my lappy because theres a bug which makes it overheat with recent kernel versions :(

been reporting it since like 2006 and no dice. Damn opensource ;)

Cant wait for the new fedora and opensuse

I am normally a die-hard GNOME user but KDE4 looks promising

Ubuntu is the best!

The first distro I used was Puppy and I still like to tinker with it alltho I am using SLED 10 SP2 on my Mini-Note and it is working out allright

we got SLED at college, but for a commercial system, i like RHEL more.

G OS i love it
Its getting better with ever release
It is simple to use like me lol
I would recommended it for any linus newbies.
I tried ubuntu but didn,t like it.
I like the Gnome desktop rathers than kde its a bit ass about face for me.
Cheers
Dave

my favourite distro is Pardus using python very effective and its from my country ;)

What's your favorite linux distro? tell us why.

My choice is Ubuntu simply because I prefer a Debian based system and the package support for Ubuntu is amazing. Before swapping over last year I have been running a mixture of Slackware, Redhat, and CentOS for the past 10 years or so. Making the move to Ubuntu was easy and actually very painless, with the exception of a few critical Redhat based servers I am still working on the migration for.

My experience is with server platforms only. I use an Ubuntu Jaunty desktop very seldom at work.

Definitely Ubuntu, I think Ubuntu is more practical where everything is installed automatically at install. And being based on Debian it has an excellent packaging system and millions of packages available for it.

It is the distro which has made me to use linux for almost 95% of the time. I use windows only for special applications like games, video-chatting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.