I'm trying to run VirtualBox in Ubuntu. I just created a machine but when I run it I get this error message:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows7_inLinux_2021_01_30.

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS. (VERR_VMX_MSR_VMXON_DISABLED).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

Help?

Thanks. Leon

Recommended Answers

All 40 Replies

That's not an unknown message or much of a mystery. If you were to share the machine's make, model, CPU model, BIOS version and age I might look into this further to see if your PC can turn it on. But for now I'll wait for you to tell more about the PC.

Also, share which Ubuntu version and which flavor along with 32 or 64 bit.

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS

Seems clear enough. Re-boot into your BIOS configuration and enable VT-x

Let's hope Xozz comes back with more information. KVM might be an option since the Guest OS mentioned looks supported at
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status

But again, the details matter as to the host OS, etc.

Sometimes I find folk that have never seen a BIOS setup screen and demand a step by step. Or they are on some decade plus PC that has a 32 bit CPU that is not a machine I would try this on.

Can you help me collecting the hardware information?

My go-to method is for you to supply the web link to a Speccy report. Since Speccy, how to use is easy to find I await your test results. Be sure to supply the web report link as anything else would be too much work for me to decode.

Is this enough information to get it done?

CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700
        Cores   2
        Threads 2
        Name    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700
        Code Name   Penryn
        Package Socket P (478)
        Technology  45nm
        Specification   Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz
        Family  6
        Extended Family 6
        Model   7
        Extended Model  17
        Stepping    A
        Revision    R0
        Instructions    MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, Intel 64, NX, VMX
        Virtualization  Supported, Disabled
        Hyperthreading  Not supported
        Rated Bus Speed 1064.0 MHz
        Stock Core Speed    2533 MHz
        Stock Bus Speed 266 MHz
        Average Temperature 36 °C
            Caches
                L1 Data Cache Size  2 x 32 KBytes
                L1 Instructions Cache Size  2 x 32 KBytes
                L2 Unified Cache Size   3072 KBytes
            Cores
                    Core Speed  Multiplier  Bus Speed   Rated Bus Speed Temperature Threads
                Core 0  2527.0 MHz  x 9.5   266.0 MHz   1064.0 MHz  36 °C   APIC ID: 0
                Core 1  2527.0 MHz  x 9.5   266.0 MHz   1064.0 MHz  36 °C   APIC ID: 1

Motherboard
Manufacturer    LENOVO
Model   2241VDR (None)
Version Not Available
Chipset Vendor  Intel
Chipset Model   GM45/GM47
Chipset Revision    07
Southbridge Vendor  Intel
Southbridge Model   82801IM (ICH9-M)
Southbridge Revision    03
System Temperature  54 °C
    BIOS
        Brand   LENOVO
        Version 6FET93WW (3.23 )
        Date    12-10-2012
    PCI Data
            Slot PCI-E
                Slot Type   PCI-E
                Slot Usage  Available
                Data lanes  x1
                Slot Designation    ExpressCard Slot 1
                Characteristics Hot Plug
                Slot Number 0
            Slot PCMCIA
                Slot Type   PCMCIA
                Slot Usage  Available
                Bus Width   32 bit
                Slot Designation    CardBus Slot 1
                Characteristics 5V, 3.3V, PC Card-16, CardBus, Zoom Video, Modem Ring Resume, PME, Hot Plug
                Slot Number 1
            Slot Other
                Slot Type   Other
                Slot Usage  Available
                Bus Width   Other
                Slot Designation    Media Card Slot 1
                Characteristics Hot Plug
                Slot Number 2
            Slot Other
                Slot Type   Other
                Slot Usage  Available
                Bus Width   Other
                Slot Designation    SmartCard Slot 1
                Characteristics Hot Plug
                Slot Number 3

"Is this enough information to get it done? "

No. I think you want a detailed step by step along with more about this. You ignored my instruction above:
"Be sure to supply the web report link"

Follow my instruction so I can figure out what you have as a PC.

There is a chance VT-x is supported but remember that we don't have what your PC is along with other data so I can't write more than what was shared above.

-> Some good news about this CPU and VT-x at https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/37006/intel-core-2-duo-processor-p8700-3m-cache-2-53-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html

Why make this so complicated?

Problem: VT-x is disabled.
It;s suported by the CPU
It's supported by the motherboard
He just needs to enable it in the BIOS. Here are the instructions.

I think this is what you're looking for:

Click Here

And my Linux version is:

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS
Release: 14.04
Codename: trusty

commented: Read James reply at https://www.daniweb.com/posts/jump/2276039 as it's spot on. +15

Now that you mention Ubuntu, if the simple change noted by James doesn't fix it, I worry that your current Linux is the issue. Here's why:

Ubuntu Linux 14.04 LTS reaches the end of its five-year LTS window on April 30th 2019 and will no longer be supported by the vendor (Canonical). This means that this version of Ubuntu will no longer receive security patches or other software updates.

It's now 2021 so it's been long enough for you to change up to something newer.

I'm trying to run VirtualBox in Ubuntu.

The full report shows that you are running WIndows 7, not Ubuntu.

(and... you are running an OS that's past end-of-life support with both the firewall and the anti-virus turned off.)

That's right. I couldn't find Speccy for LInux. I'm downloading the latest version of Ubuntu right now. But then I have another problem: I can't get ISO files burned to DVD. I've tried a couple of applications to do this, but untill now, no one get it done.

Nobody I know tries to get ISO files burned to DVD. There are many reasons why:

1. Current distros are often too big.
  2. Folk struggle with creation of the media since burning the .ISO file to a DVD is technically incorrect if we wanted to boot said DVD.
    Think of this instead: "Create bootable media from the .ISO file." because burning the ISO file to the DVD would be just that.
  3. USB 8GB sticks are plentiful and cheap in most of the world. Also, a lot of PCs don't have ODDs (Optical Disc Drives.)

But here we are: James supplied the best answer above with a step by step to enable VT-x. By your continued posting that is why I worry there is some other issue such as very dated OS (Windows and Linux versions mentioned by you so far.)

I have the latest version of Ubuntu installed now. I also installed VirtualBox and now I have one problem. I get an error message:

The hardware virtualization is enabled in the Acceleration section of the System although it is not supported by the host system. It should be disabled in order to start the virtual system.

When I go to the Acceleration tab and disable Hardware Virtualization the message remains there and I can't click OK.

commented: You left out if you completed the BIOS change document so well by James. +15

I don't see anything like VT-x in my BIOS setup. (BIOS of the host, right?)

I don't see anything like VT-x in my BIOS setup.

That's true. I read https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht500006 again and VT-X is not shown. It's called by it's other names.

There's a chance the BIOS is very out of date. Let's check your Speccy report for that.
Yes, the BIOS seems out of date. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t520/downloads/ds018810-bios-update-utility-for-windows-8-32-bit-64-bit-7-32-bit-64-bit-vista-32-bit-64-bit-xp-thinkpad-t520-and-t520i might be your model.

Sadly you don't seem to be engaged in this discussion. You need to feedback more and not leave us guessing this is some Thinkpad. I usually can figure it out with a Speccy but in this case it's elusive so you must tell us.

It's a T500. The BIOS version is 6FET93WW (3.23 ).

What do you need me to do to get this thing done?

(Think Ghostbusters) There is no T500 there is only Zuul.

The T500 is a series. Unfortunately I can't decode which T500 model is is even with the Speccy. All the T5x0 models I found at Lenovo have a BIOS update which could be why you didn't find the settings. OR you are looking for "VT-X" and not looking at what else this has been called over the years.

At this point I ask you to supply a link to your exact model at Lenovo.com

1. Tell us the full model by sharing a link to this model (not the series but the exact model) at Lenovo.com.
    Why? Because the details so far don't point to the exact model. You have owned this and would have this data.
  2. If you want to share images, paste the image or put it up at imgur.com. Those links don't exist.

Maybe this laptop just doesn't support VT-x. I always like to give it my best try but you haven't been able to supply the details required to find out if it's possible with a BIOS setting or update. We know the Core2Duo CPU supports VirtualBox but that's not enough. The BIOS, setting and Host OS must as well. Then you run into limitations of what you can do on a forum.

In your case since you can't share the information asked for maybe it's time to take it to a shop or a friend that does PC support.

The images are incomplete. They would need to show all the BIOS menu and sub menu options to see where the setting of interest is. Once in a while I'll find someone that says a setting isn't there but they had yet to explore the sub-menus.

Again I ask:

1. Tell us the full model by sharing a link to this model (not the series but the exact model) at Lenovo.com.
    Why? Because the details so far don't point to the exact model. You have owned this and would have this data.
  2. Share the sub menu content because without the exact model and user manual (may not exist) I can't guess the exact menu/submenu item by exact name to change. This is not unusual because some folk don't know that a BIOS entry for something can have variations in naming.

I can't find the T500 on lenovo.com let alone the exact model... I have are serial number, though:

TYPE 2241 - VDR S/N R8 - EWCEB 09/11

PRODUCT ID: 2241 VDR

I gave the version number of my BIOS. Agan, this is 6FET93WW (3.23 )

You have the laptop. So you could have dived deeper into the BIOS menus. Again you have the laptop and as such have it all over us here.

It looks as if you'll have to find support at Lenovo (yes you have to pay as it's so out of any warranty) or try Lenovo forums.

That information (last post) might be useful at a Lenovo forum but here I do not keep archives on PC products. It's a shame this discussion is this long but your lack of information and skipping supplying details means we are at an impass.

I'm sorry :( Thanks for the help provided.

I have not given up. I hope you can supply images of the BIOS sub menus so I or others can see if the setting is there. I know a lot of folk that want "exact" matches on text so you're not unique here. All it means is we'll have to see whats' in the sub-menus.

I hope you can supply images of the BIOS sub menus so I or others can see if the setting is there. I know a lot of folk that want "exact" matches on text so you're not unique here. All it means is we'll have to see whats' in the sub-menus.

I'll use the model as "T500 2241" but there is no document found by me that shows the BIOS menu contents. It's time for you to look in the submenus and if they are foreign to you, share images so we can point out which setting.

If there is no virtual or other VT-x setting then it's time to look for a BIOS update. It's not possible for me to give you a direct link or a step by step. My rule on BIOS updates is simple. I never write how. I only write to follow the maker's instruction since my instruction will become dates over time and I don't want to have to find all the times I wrote about this and correct them. So where is that BIOS? Read STEALTHTH's reply at
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/Can-not-find-my-models/m-p/127160?page=1#127367

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.