I need a distro for an x86. It must come on 1cd or have a netinstall and it must have a decent package manager and gnome

Any reccomendations?

P.S My machine hates debian and redhat derivitives

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

I need a distro for an x86. It must come on 1cd or have a netinstall and it must have a decent package manager and gnome

Any reccomendations?

P.S My machine hates debian and redhat derivitives

Gentoo?

no, too much compiling - it needs gui admin tools too

thaugt opensuse but i hear that its broken

no, too much compiling - it needs gui admin tools too

thaugt opensuse but i hear that its broken

and it comes on 5 disks. And the gnome on SuSE distros is kind of bastardised.

I know you said no Debian derivatives but have you tried Ubuntu? I find it to be the best all round distro for desktop use (in terms of hardware detection, organisation and just general goodness).

I want a gnome distro i want stability not cutting edge so i may try centos - i like slack but the machine needs GUI tools and not use too much ram AS the machine has 384 maybe upgradable to 512 for like £30 but its old so i dunno if its worth it (PIIIM)

i wanna try suse on my main pc when 10.2 is done as suse 10 -10.1 is too broken for me

hey i wanna buy SLED ($50 a year) to replace my xp - how much is that in UK pounds and is SLED as screwed up as 10.1 ?

I can actually get SLED for $35 for as long as I want. I think you pay yearly if you want the support and the updates for it.

When I worked for Novell(hope everyone knows where that's at: PROVO!!!) I could get it free, but I left before the final version came out.

3 years is $125

Vista is coming out soon but my new (aaah! only 6 months old) pc wont run it - it needs double the ram but the ram is currently a one gig stck in one slot so im screwed

3 years at $125, the xgl looks flashy and i get phone support and installation help - thats what, like £70? - same than an xp home oem

im trying the 60 day eval now

have u watched the video?
the americans in them call it "soosel linux" rather then "susey linux"

SuSE was german before it was baught by novell
the "u" means und

I spoke to agerman about it on teamspeak and he prounouned is well different to either of us

p.s im pleased with the evel edition - i may buy as i like the idea of 30 days instillation/config support as this is my main pc

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.