I need a distro for an x86. It must come on 1cd or have a netinstall and it must have a decent package manager and gnome

Any reccomendations?

P.S My machine hates debian and redhat derivitives

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I need a distro for an x86. It must come on 1cd or have a netinstall and it must have a decent package manager and gnome

Any reccomendations?

P.S My machine hates debian and redhat derivitives

Gentoo?

no, too much compiling - it needs gui admin tools too

thaugt opensuse but i hear that its broken

no, too much compiling - it needs gui admin tools too

thaugt opensuse but i hear that its broken

and it comes on 5 disks. And the gnome on SuSE distros is kind of bastardised.

I know you said no Debian derivatives but have you tried Ubuntu? I find it to be the best all round distro for desktop use (in terms of hardware detection, organisation and just general goodness).

what about slackware? or suse?

I want a gnome distro i want stability not cutting edge so i may try centos - i like slack but the machine needs GUI tools and not use too much ram AS the machine has 384 maybe upgradable to 512 for like £30 but its old so i dunno if its worth it (PIIIM)

i wanna try suse on my main pc when 10.2 is done as suse 10 -10.1 is too broken for me

hey i wanna buy SLED ($50 a year) to replace my xp - how much is that in UK pounds and is SLED as screwed up as 10.1 ?

I can actually get SLED for $35 for as long as I want. I think you pay yearly if you want the support and the updates for it.

When I worked for Novell(hope everyone knows where that's at: PROVO!!!) I could get it free, but I left before the final version came out.

3 years is $125

Vista is coming out soon but my new (aaah! only 6 months old) pc wont run it - it needs double the ram but the ram is currently a one gig stck in one slot so im screwed

3 years at $125, the xgl looks flashy and i get phone support and installation help - thats what, like £70? - same than an xp home oem

im trying the 60 day eval now

have u watched the video?
the americans in them call it "soosel linux" rather then "susey linux"

That's how you pronounce it, Soose, since it was made in america, mostly.

SuSE was german before it was baught by novell
the "u" means und

I spoke to agerman about it on teamspeak and he prounouned is well different to either of us

p.s im pleased with the evel edition - i may buy as i like the idea of 30 days instillation/config support as this is my main pc

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.