Hello and Hapy Thanksgiving!

I've recently set up an old Compaq Deskpro 2000 as a web server. I'm running Damn Small Linux and Apache 2.0.54. Everything works perfect except for one small thing—Apache doesn't start with the system. Does anyone know how to setup Apache to startup when the system boots? I've only been working with Linux for about two months so please explain everything slowly and in detail. Thank you all here at DaniWeb for your time and answers!

~ Sparkplug188 (linux n00b)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

This is what you're looking for, I think:

If you want your server to continue running after a system reboot, you should add a call to apachectl to your system startup files (typically rc.local or a file in an rc.N directory). This will start Apache as root. Before doing this ensure that your server is properly configured for security and access restrictions.

rc.local is almost always in /etc/rc.x. So look there, edit the file with vi or something, and add a line for apachectl.

Hope this helps

Thank you Joeprogrammer, you need a pay raise!

For anyone else in the situation I was in, edit "/opt/bootlocal.sh". Add the line "/opt/wwwroot/bin/apachectl -k start" to the end of the document.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.