Hi... had a problem boggling the mind over the past few days and I'm about ready to pull my hair out, so I figured I would offer it up here to see if anyone had suggestions...

The Scenario:

Base server is running CentOS 3 with 4 different VMware machines configured on it. We use an IP tunneling solution through our ISP that allows us to lease small machines elsewhere and use the IP addresses on our local machines. Each VM is configured with a different set of IP addresses via bridged networking.

VM's 1, 2, and 3 are in perfect working order, however, VM 4 seems to be having a connection issue. When trying to bring up the IP range on this machine, the OS is reporting that they are up, however, the VM can't be pinged anywhere besides the host machine. I thought this may have been an issue with the tunnel, but found out that wasn't the case. I took the VM offline and tried binding the IP range to our main server, where they work fine. I unconfigured them again from the server, did a reset, and started the VM again to have no luck.

The server can ping the VM, but not the other way around (this gives me a "Destination Host Unreachable" error). Traceroute on the VM to any network gives me errors (the good ol' 3000 ms !H) ... netstat -rn looks normal to me.

I thought this may have been a gateway issue, but I'm sure that it's not, as I've been over the configuration files 100 times.

So with that... does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Steve

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

have you made sure that the virtual network adapter and VMWare network service are installed on the physical pc?

Everything is installed properly, yes. I have 3 other VM's on the same machine that are in perfect working order. I did think that maybe it was a problem with the bridged networking only allowing so many connections from the VM's, so I tried creating a second bridged adapter. This didn't work either.

-Steve

have you made sure that the virtual network adapter and VMWare network service are installed on the physical pc?

Did the CentOS firewall somehow mess you up in VM #4? Do an iptables -L and check to make sure that it didn't stick in something you didn't want.

Buzz

Hi... had a problem boggling the mind over the past few days and I'm about ready to pull my hair out, so I figured I would offer it up here to see if anyone had suggestions...

The Scenario:

Base server is running CentOS 3 with 4 different VMware machines configured on it. We use an IP tunneling solution through our ISP that allows us to lease small machines elsewhere and use the IP addresses on our local machines. Each VM is configured with a different set of IP addresses via bridged networking.

VM's 1, 2, and 3 are in perfect working order, however, VM 4 seems to be having a connection issue. When trying to bring up the IP range on this machine, the OS is reporting that they are up, however, the VM can't be pinged anywhere besides the host machine. I thought this may have been an issue with the tunnel, but found out that wasn't the case. I took the VM offline and tried binding the IP range to our main server, where they work fine. I unconfigured them again from the server, did a reset, and started the VM again to have no luck.

The server can ping the VM, but not the other way around (this gives me a "Destination Host Unreachable" error). Traceroute on the VM to any network gives me errors (the good ol' 3000 ms !H) ... netstat -rn looks normal to me.

I thought this may have been a gateway issue, but I'm sure that it's not, as I've been over the configuration files 100 times.

So with that... does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Steve

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.