Hey im new to linux, and i need help with what type of gentoo to get for an intel pentium 4. is it supported? Also is it possible to put slax on an ipod?

Thanks,
M

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

>Hey im new to linux, and i need help with what type of gentoo to get for an intel pentium 4. is it supported?

Sure it's supported, but Gentoo is not a good choice for Linux newbies like you. I've used it a fair amount, and installation and setup is difficult and requires a lot of time - and that's if you know what you're doing. Trying to learn Linux while doing all that is simply too much.

I would recommend Debian Linux as it's not only easy to use, but it's very fast and flexible, and is one of the oldest Linux distros around. If you're looking for something more hardcore, then try Slackware.

>it possible to put slax on an ipod?

It's probably possible, as is all things with Linux, but it's certainly not going to be easy, and you shouldn't try it if you have never used Linux before. If you're interested in getting Linux on your iPod, check out the iPod Linux project, which has a special version of Linux for your iPod and tons of support and documentation. But again, it might be easier if you try this once you've had some experience with Linux.

well im not that new, i currently have 2 comps running on kubuntu, i have setup gentoo before and i just need to know what distro works on an intel...
thanks

Hey im new to linux

well im not that new, i currently have 2 comps running on kubuntu, i have setup gentoo before and i just need to know what distro works on an intel...

Did I misread?

Have you been living under a rock? Intel is like the most popular microchip on the market, followed by AMD, whose architechtures are compatible. There's not that many distros that don't support the x86 architechture.

And did you ever think of checking out Gentoo's website before posting here?

Yes i checked but im confused about which one to get, theres like spark and alfa, it doesnt say "intel" so which one do i get?
oh and btw amd is way better than intel

intel pentium 4 compatibile = x86 (sometimes shown as i386, i486, i686)

this does NOT include x86_64

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.