Hey,

I've setup Apache 2 on my sys w/ windows xp pro. I also installed php. I start apache, i can see the little green arrow which shows its suppose to be working.. but when send my server ip to someone so they can try and go onto it, it doesn't work.

Do I need to add anything after/before the IP? or can my server be accessed just by my ip (ex: 11.11.11.111)

Thanks..

Ron

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Is your system behind a router or anything?

Yes its behind a linsys router.

Yes its behind a linsys router.

You'll either need to put your server in the router's DMZ if it has one, or forward the router's port 80 connection to your box's port 80. More than likely, that should handle things for you.

This normally works, but don't be too surprised if it actually turns out that your ISP is blocking incoming port 80 connections. If they don't, then don't be too surprised if the connection actually runs SUPER slow...

forward the router's port 80 connection to your box's port 80. More than likely, that should handle things for you

How would I go about doing that?

How would I go about doing that?

Sorry for the long reply on this-- I forgot which forum this post was in!

It really depends. You'll need to check the documentation on your router for directions. It usually just involves getting into the router's configuration, (your manual should have instructions for that), finding a port forwarding section, and just telling the router to send requests to the router's port 80 to port 80 of your IP address. Like I said, if your router can't do this, it might have a DMZ option, even.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.