Hi,

I am on Fedora Core 5 32+ bit. I wonder if there is any command that can tell you when Linux was installed. Thanks.....

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

*How do you install it?* From CD media?

PS: Why FC5? There is FC6 now, and FC7 i s going to be released at May.

*How do you install it?* From CD media?

PS: Why FC5? There is FC6 now, and FC7 i s going to be released at May.

Thanks,

Yes, From a DVD download off the net. I just found it out. Here it is

cat /var/log/yum.log | grep "packagename"

If youve updated your system since it was installed the date given will be wrong.

Hi,

I am on Fedora Core 5 32+ bit. I wonder if there is any command that can tell you when Linux was installed. Thanks.....

Most Linux distrubutions install a "release" file when they are installed, to identify which release you are running. This file never gets updated, unless you upgrade to a new release (Fedora Core 6, Fedora 7, etc.). The date on this file will be the date the release was installed. for example:

$ [B]ls -l /etc/fedora-release[/B]
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root [B]28 Oct 15  2006[/B] /etc/fedora-release

Oh, i was under the impression that redhat distros release files were changed when you ran up2date?

I run CentOS and RHEL and when I get the quarterly update it changes e.g from 4.1 - 4.2 - 4.3 - 4.4

Oh, i was under the impression that redhat distros release files were changed when you ran up2date?

I run CentOS and RHEL and when I get the quarterly update it changes e.g from 4.1 - 4.2 - 4.3 - 4.4

Those are new releases, so the release file is updated. Fedora doesn't provide minor releases.

Oh ok.

How to know when an Ubuntu was first installed

# head /var/syslog/installer/syslog

Details:

I just looked in my Ubuntu 11.04 server and: /var/installer/syslog shows when the syslog daemon started (which was during first installation):

root@...:/var/log/installer# head syslog
Jun  1 09:27:09 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.17.1
Jun  1 09:27:09 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.17.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.17.1-10ubuntu1)
Jun  1 09:27:09 kernel: [    0.000000] Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset

I checked /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net files (which tell about the release in Debian based Linuxes) and the date of these files is that of the release, not of the installation:

root@...:/var/log/installer# l /etc/issue*
4.0K -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 13 2011-04-21 18:51 /etc/issue.net
4.0K -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 20 2011-04-21 18:51 /etc/issue

... so it doesn't fit. (besides, that date may have been changed accidentally, so it's a very fragile way to store this information)

i just know that Linux is with high security. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.