wretched spybot keeps cutting across................oh well.

Hello everyone. Im judych
Im new here as of today. This is my first attempt to navigate and Im not doing very well at the moment.
What I want to do is look at the questions and answers to do with
linux removal and windows loading on my computer.
I had the linux put in last week.......to my dismay, when I got into it, I realised just how much I didnt like it at all.
I had a second hard drive put in my old computer.(this is where the linux was installed)
The original hard drive is still in there,(this has windows xp professional) I wanted two.........and Ive got them, The bad mistake was not to have the windows downloaded into the second hard drive.
I guess becuase the linux fiesty faun was free? Never again will I let that influence me....not worth the worry that it brings.....(It had lots of goodies there......but Im not proficient enough to use them)
So, now Ive got to remove the linux.Its just not for me.
I have the c.d.with the program on it........and my friend is bringing down tomorrow(monday) the windows xp program on c.d. put out by microsoft.for us to put in after removing linux.
ARe we ,as novices, going to have any problems, or is this going to be straight forward? Im just so illiterate when it comes to computers.......its no joke. Not that I let that stop me at all. Its the only way to learn...........so here I am, needing help from you all.
What am I in for?
Can anyone direct me here on this forum to more info? Im still hopelessly lost on here. I dont see "forum" written up the top. Where do I access the open forum where everything is discussed?
Thanks for your patience...............hope to hear from you judych

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Click "tech talk" at the top then choose whatever forum you want it to go in, they are organised by category, e.g windows, liux etc...

im a little confused, can you please explain in more detail how many drives you have, and what systems are installed on each drive?

also, do you want to install windows over linux? or do you just want to wipe linux off the drive and make it so that windows can use the disk for storing files on?

Click "tech talk" at the top then choose whatever forum you want it to go in, they are organised by category, e.g windows, liux etc...

im a little confused, can you please explain in more detail how many drives you have, and what systems are installed on each drive?

also, do you want to install windows over linux? or do you just want to wipe linux off the drive and make it so that windows can use the disk for storing files on?

thanks for being so prompt.
I cant tell you much, only that I have the original hard drive in the tower, and had another added to the tower. The second one is about 80 gigs. ( si that the right terminoligy....gigs?)
Im really new at this. Just used my email programs on the one hard drive and a few other programs and thats it. This original hard drive is running with windows xp office........
The new hard drive has linux.......feisty faun.
this program is the one that I will need to delete. Not the original one. That is fine, although its loaded down.
Its the linux program that I want to remove so I can put windowsxp onto the new one.
I didnt realize just how different the linux was from windows. Linus isnt for me, Im a home user, into email groups all over the world.....using stats.......I want to download some software to learn stats eventually.( artwork for emails etc.).
I also want to access christian radio stations and christian t.v. through satellite.........I cant access media properly on linux.( I will be using the new hard drive for all the media, plus the incredimail, which is an email program)
Its not compatible with incredimail, which is my email program that I want to continue with. I know this sounds very sketch and amateurish......but its all I can really tell you. We have the windowsxp on c.d. from microsoft to put in the hard drive. We just need to get the linux out. Will it be a simple thing to do? I have a friend who is more proficient with them, and she is coming in to lend me assistance.
Is this enough to start with? thanks judych

so do you have windows already installed?

also, linux is not a program , it is a whole operating system (like windows is).

if you have windows installed on Drive 1 and want to wipe Drive 2 (which currently has linux on it) and use it for saving media etc... to ,then you can do that from windows quite easialy.

Sorry..my understanding about the various terms leaves a lot to be desired.............so you think that I can access the linux in the 2nd hard drive from the windows in the 1st hard drive? How would I do that?
judych

so do you have windows already installed?

also, linux is not a program , it is a whole operating system (like windows is).

if you have windows installed on Drive 1 and want to wipe Drive 2 (which currently has linux on it) and use it for saving media etc... to ,then you can do that from windows quite easialy.

please do something for me.

right click on my computer in windows and choose manage

then click Disk Management on the side.

please take a screenshot of that page by hitting the Print Screen/Sys Rq key on your keyboard, then opning up paint and choosing paste

save the file as a Jpeg file and then post it here by clicking "go advanced" then the paperclip icon

thans so mucy. I dont have paint........but should b e able to paste this..........judych

paste it into a word document or something then, just attatch it here by clicking "go advanced" then the paper clip icon. that will open up a window for attatching files.

Removing linux should be very easy.. Go to disk management as James said, and search for the volumes that do not have a file system listed, and that says "Healthy (Unknown partition)" under the "Status" column. There should be at least two of these.. Right click the first and hit delete partition.. then the next one.. There, now no more linux. Next, you need to format the unused space (The space you just made available by deleting linux). Right click this unallocated spaced and click format. Choose NTFS as the file system. This should solve your problem.

Oh, and btw.. don't worry about deleting the wrong partition, b/c if you follow my directions then you should succeed. And besides, Windows won't let you delete Windows in Windows ;)

yeah i was just being careful by asking him to show us his layout, just in case he had some wierd setup

Removing linux should be very easy.. Go to disk management as James said, and search for the volumes that do not have a file system listed, and that says "Healthy (Unknown partition)" under the "Status" column. There should be at least two of these.. Right click the first and hit delete partition.. then the next one.. There, now no more linux. Next, you need to format the unused space (The space you just made available by deleting linux). Right click this unallocated spaced and click format. Choose NTFS as the file system. This should solve your problem.

Oh, and btw.. don't worry about deleting the wrong partition, b/c if you follow my directions then you should succeed. And besides, Windows won't let you delete Windows in Windows ;)

Hi there. Sorry about the delay in getting back to the forum and the
input you have given. I appreciate all the advice. However, in the end,
after a day of absolutely nothing being achieved at all, and feeling somewhat sick, I rang the people who installed the linux, and they
uninstalled it for me for no charge. So, I now have my computer
back with me, formatted for windows to be installed, which hopefully will
be sometime this coming week. I was told that I would have had no chance of uninstalling the program at home. So, Ive learnt from this
experience, that from now on, I dont take anything that Im told about
computers at face value. I ask questions that are pertinent to me, ask
if I can see it operating, and then decide whether its for me or not.
I just want to thank you all for your interest and willingness to help me.
I will be around this forum, reading up on info, and if I have a query,
I will be asking .........once again, thanks so much ... judych

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.