im having trouble finding and downloading openSUSE linux. the opensuse.org won't open. where else can i find this distribution and download it quickly? thank you in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

http://www.ubuntu.com
they have plenty of mirrors.
also try http://dir.linuxforums.org for a more complete list of most distros.

commented: Instead of giving links to random distros, why don't you just read the question carefully? Your second link did not offer any download mirrors for OpenSUSE. -2
Member Avatar for iamthwee

>where else can i find this distribution and download it quickly?

Quickly, that isn't gonna happen. It's a dvd size. If downloading is a problem check out your local magasine shop. You can buy a cheap linux mag with a dvd of opensuse on it. Or send off for it. That's what I did.

You have decided to download a great distro!
I currently use Opensuse on one pc and Freespire on another. Both work with little resources.
Opensuse was a little longer install than Freespire, but I have had zero problems with the distro.

im satisfied with openSUSE, although i'm an absolute beginner. linux is great. i enjoy learning it

You won't be learning very much Linux if you use OpenSUSE, just to warn you...

commented: who cares as long as he's using it -1

Yeah I agree with Joe, you need to use Real Linux (tm).

what do you mean by that? i'm learning to do everything from the bash console program. i'm learning how to make scripts... now i'm really confused. :)
i have no choice but to use openSuSE because the open source appl. OpenFOAM that i'm using in my research was developed on OpenSuSe and it has no conflicts while running on it - so i was told.

thanx to everybody for the links and the advice, i got the installation dvd from a research assistent at my university :)

what do you mean by that? i'm learning to do everything from the bash console program. i'm learning how to make scripts... now i'm really confused.

Because using the command line is something that is not required when using OpenSUSE. You'll never really master the command line until you're forced to use it.

I have used every major distro out there and there are purists that have a probably with Opensuse and the distro I mentioned before Freespire. Both Novell (of Suse) and Freespire have entered into deals with Microsoft. There is nothing keeping a Freespire or Opensuse user from learning how program etc.. In fact, having a linux that works out of the box is great start.
People often forget that Ubuntu has agreements with Freespire and that the roots of SUSE in Germany are very much based on "real" Linux.

You have decided to download a great distro!
I currently use Opensuse on one pc and Freespire on another. Both work with little resources.
Opensuse was a little longer install than Freespire, but I have had zero problems with the distro.

OpenSuse is terrible. I have 5 dells, no version of suse above 10.0 runs on them, because it doesnt detect the USB keyboard.

Yast is slow as hell too

i like debian, fast, stable, open (love the social contract)
CentOS i sort of like too but thats only because i love stability and it has good GUI tools for servers

currently running Opensuse on a dell with only 128 megs of ram. interesting how we all have different experiences with the different distros.
I also have no probs with debian and it's major derivatives.

Because using the command line is something that is not required when using OpenSUSE. You'll never really master the command line until you're forced to use it.

oh, believe me, i'm forced to use it - and i love to use it. and i'm getting used to it - i had no idea it's so fast. as i said before, i have a great oportunity and vast fortune to work on OpenFOAM :) (http://www.opencfd.co.uk/openfoam/) and thus i can't escape the command line. and now that i'm getting used to it - i don't want to use anything else.

I have used every major distro out there and there are purists that have a probably with Opensuse and the distro I mentioned before Freespire. Both Novell (of Suse) and Freespire have entered into deals with Microsoft. There is nothing keeping a Freespire or Opensuse user from learning how program etc.. In fact, having a linux that works out of the box is great start.
People often forget that Ubuntu has agreements with Freespire and that the roots of SUSE in Germany are very much based on "real" Linux.

as we say in Croatia :"so, in THAT hedge lies the rabbit." :) ok. i got the message. the problem is Micosoft. i can understand that perfectly, from what i'm reading on the Net about terms such as the GNU project, copyleft, free softwafe, development community, and similar - i can finaly understand people who have problems with (excuse my bad english) proprietary software. i'm developing my own set of problems with it as i seem to be rising up into an intermediate linux and a novice OpenFOAM user. ;)

<<<Yeah I agree with Joe, you need to use Real Linux (tm).
what is the meaning of real linux? actually i am using mandrive. Is it good to learn by this? i m newbie for this. I m eager to learn linux but do not know which one is good for a newbie.

want to start from scratch? go to gentoo website, open their installation manual, and do everything step by step :)

Hey, why stop there? Why not try LFS and get an even better understanding.

In the end it all comes down to how much time you have to learn it all.

the good thing about gentoo is the very detailed installation guide. you are doing everything from scratch, but you are guided through every step of the way. you don't get that in LFS, unless you have your local guru sitting beside you :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.