because i don't have an internet connection where i live right now, and i like having the latest version on CD for other installs.

I'm waiting on a Ubuntu cd from www.on-disk.com (any experience with them?) at under $6 including s&h I don't see how I could go wrong.

Supposedly a percentage of each cd supports linux developers.

why not use shipit?

its the official, free method of getting ubuntu

cant you just downlload it? or are you capped/on dial up ?

The easiest way to get ubuntu, if you're restricted by dial-up, is to go to your nearest reputable magazine store and pick up a linux mag.

I like the linux format mags, they come with different distros for under £7.00 in the UK.

why not use shipit?
its the official, free method of getting ubuntu
cant you just downlload it? or are you capped/on dial up ?

3MB DSL, just to many other things to do. (And I prefer 'hard copies')

The easiest way to get ubuntu, if you're restricted by dial-up, is to go to your nearest reputable magazine store and pick up a linux mag.

I like the linux format mags, they come with different distros for under £7.00 in the UK.

Totally new to linux.... didn't know they had linux mags. (cd-rom in cover I assume?)

>3MB DSL, just to many other things to do. (And I prefer 'hard copies')

Basically, if you have broadband and a cd-burner, you can download the ubuntu .ISO and burn it to disc.
On winXp I like using the following ISO recorder, it's free.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

>Totally new to linux.... didn't know they had linux mags. (cd-rom in cover I assume?)

Yes, ubuntu is always red hot, so you can more or less expect at least one magazine to have the cd/dvd on the cover. I'm not sure what the story is over in the US, but I'd imagine it to be similar to the UK.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.