because i don't have an internet connection where i live right now, and i like having the latest version on CD for other installs.

i see.

it sucks i dont' have an internet connection at home, but oh well.

I'm waiting on a Ubuntu cd from www.on-disk.com (any experience with them?) at under $6 including s&h I don't see how I could go wrong.

Supposedly a percentage of each cd supports linux developers.

why not use shipit?

its the official, free method of getting ubuntu

cant you just downlload it? or are you capped/on dial up ?

Member Avatar for iamthwee

The easiest way to get ubuntu, if you're restricted by dial-up, is to go to your nearest reputable magazine store and pick up a linux mag.

I like the linux format mags, they come with different distros for under £7.00 in the UK.

why not use shipit?
its the official, free method of getting ubuntu
cant you just downlload it? or are you capped/on dial up ?

3MB DSL, just to many other things to do. (And I prefer 'hard copies')

The easiest way to get ubuntu, if you're restricted by dial-up, is to go to your nearest reputable magazine store and pick up a linux mag.

I like the linux format mags, they come with different distros for under £7.00 in the UK.

Totally new to linux.... didn't know they had linux mags. (cd-rom in cover I assume?)

Member Avatar for iamthwee

>3MB DSL, just to many other things to do. (And I prefer 'hard copies')

Basically, if you have broadband and a cd-burner, you can download the ubuntu .ISO and burn it to disc.
On winXp I like using the following ISO recorder, it's free.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

>Totally new to linux.... didn't know they had linux mags. (cd-rom in cover I assume?)

Yes, ubuntu is always red hot, so you can more or less expect at least one magazine to have the cd/dvd on the cover. I'm not sure what the story is over in the US, but I'd imagine it to be similar to the UK.

I use "deepburner" (free version available)

just download the 600-700mb .iso and burn it.

shipit is best way to go though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.