Hi,

I have a G4 1Ghz OS v10.2.8. We were able to run Disk Warrior v3.0 only after rebooting off the CD to graph our HD then rebuilding it. But after more than 2 hours, the bar was stuck at one point. The animation within the bar however was still animating. Does it really take over 12hrs as I've read in other forums JUST to rebuild a drive? We know for other programs, it is optimizing that usually takes hours to complete.

We also have DW v2.1.1 for OS 9.1. Using rebuild on that only took around 2 minutes. Is the newer version really this big of a difference in rebuilding time? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Tony

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

The rebuild is usually quite quick, however I repaired a friends TiBook and it took about 4 hours because of all the problems found with overlapping files etc. Diskwarrior did display a message to the effect that there were major problems encountered and I wasn't sure if it had hung or not at first. It did finish eventually, having recovered a load of files and fixed a litany of problems. Bottom line, if your drive has a lot problems it really can take that long. If it takes that long the second time round though, or doesn't complete after being left overnight, then I would start worrying about the possibility the drive may be failing. In that instance, my next step would be to backup the entire drive and then do a low-level format to re-map any bad sectors before re-installing and restoring. Not my favourite way to spend a day but sometimes necessary.

I'm just frustrated with Disk Warrior. I bought the darn program, and when I tried to run it, it told me I couldn't because the disk I bought only supported Jaguar, and not Panther. So then I had to wait for a Panther version to be released, and then shipped to me. Now it tells me that I can't run Disk Warrior because I have a 30" Apple Cinema display, and there is no version out yet that supports it. So once again I have to wait for a new CD to be manufactured and then shipped to me.

Hello,

Why would a disk optimization program be concerned with the display? That to me is a bad design. Granted, no one is going to run CAD software in 640 x 480, but a display being too large?

The wait from Jaguar to Panther is justified -- an OS level definately can affect disk access parterns, perhaps file locking, and so forth.

But not the display.

Christian

I will answer very quickly so not to hijack the thread, and to keep it on topic with Disk Warrior. However, the reason for this is because to use the 30" monitor, you must upgrade your video card to the ONE Nvidia model that can support such a large resolution. In order to do so, you must actually do a firmware upgrade as well as Cinema Display driver update on your G5 prior to installing the card. Yes, a monitor that will actually only run on a G5 tower with one specific video card.

In order to do so, you must actually do a firmware upgrade as well as Cinema Display driver update on your G5 prior to installing the card.

I presume the display driver is what's missing from the Diskwarrior CD, have you tried creating your own boot disk using BootCD, which will copy the system off your hard disk, and including your installed Diskwarrior on the CD?

Hey,

I had an external FW400 200Gb disk attached to a G3/400 (10.3.5 Server) indicate problems on Friday afternoon. Disk Utility couldn't fix it, so I applied trusty DiskWarrior 3.0.1 to the problem. But here I am, it's Sunday morning, and DW has been stuck in 'Step 9' for over 24 hours. It does not look like it's crashed, the system is still running fine, I can see from Activity Monitor that the CPU is running about load 3 to 4, the in-progress-bar 'scrolling' animation is still happening, the app does not show red in Force Quit. In other works, it seems like it's working fine. But could it REALLY be taking this long to 'Compare Directories' - over 36 hours?!

But could it REALLY be taking this long to 'Compare Directories' - over 36 hours?!

FYI - Well, answering my own question - no it couldn't. I interrupted it finally after 48 hours, reconnected the drive to a G4, and used DW 3.0.2. This time it rebuilt the directory in about 6 hours.

My iBook G4 has been wonky lately; most signs (sudden power failures, odd noises, occasional crashes) point to a failing hard drive. I bought Disk Warrior yesterday, and have been running it for, oh, about 28 hours now. It's still on step six. It's found 1480 overlapped files so far, and the activity bar indicates the test is still running.

I'm assuming the drive is terminal: I plan to back up all my data and replace the hard drive.

Any feedback?

Jason in Vancouver

Does anyone have a success story with DW 3.x - I don't mind if it takes 24 hours at all and formatting isn't an issue as this is a data recovery attempt. The drive is absolutely failing butif this might help getting some pertinent files back, so be it. Has any one let it run forever and got good results?
Or better - any other tips on software (especially free utilities) to bring some data back after usually being able to browse some files but typically locking up when copying files.

thanks and I mean it!

~Andrew

My iBook G4 has been wonky lately; most signs (sudden power failures, odd noises, occasional crashes) point to a failing hard drive. I bought Disk Warrior yesterday, and have been running it for, oh, about 28 hours now. It's still on step six. It's found 1480 overlapped files so far, and the activity bar indicates the test is still running.

I'm assuming the drive is terminal: I plan to back up all my data and replace the hard drive.

Any feedback?

Jason in Vancouver

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.