I recently caught a virus which I cleaned,bat as a consequence my avg doesn't update,(failed to connect to server) and my automatic updates don't work(error 404) and it redirects me to my default site. Also I can't download anything from microsoft or avg, I installed nod32 but it couldn't update as well.
Help will be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Check your HOSTS file in case it has been modified by the virus to redirect your connections.

Check your HOSTS file in case it has been modified by the virus to redirect your connections.

OK Thanks

I recently caught a virus which I cleaned,bat as a consequence my avg doesn't update,(failed to connect to server) and my automatic updates don't work(error 404) and it redirects me to my default site. Also I can't download anything from microsoft or avg, I installed nod32 but it couldn't update as well.
Help will be appreciated.

I had a similar thing happen to me (in fact, every time it boots up and doesn't see an internet connection it happens) and what I just do is go and tell it to update, which usually works.
I'm assuming you're here because that doesn't work.

In that case, I always keep a copy of the original versions of what I installed on my harddrive, and I went and uninstalled AVG and then reinstalled it with the original version. This should work.

Actually combofix did the job.
There was some residue of/or viruses that it managed to clean.
Thanks for the support

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.