I recently caught a virus which I cleaned,bat as a consequence my avg doesn't update,(failed to connect to server) and my automatic updates don't work(error 404) and it redirects me to my default site. Also I can't download anything from microsoft or avg, I installed nod32 but it couldn't update as well.
Help will be appreciated.

Contributors
Replies
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by awear2002

Check your HOSTS file in case it has been modified by the virus to redirect your connections.

OK Thanks

I recently caught a virus which I cleaned,bat as a consequence my avg doesn't update,(failed to connect to server) and my automatic updates don't work(error 404) and it redirects me to my default site. Also I can't download anything from microsoft or avg, I installed nod32 but it couldn't update as well.
Help will be appreciated.

I had a similar thing happen to me (in fact, every time it boots up and doesn't see an internet connection it happens) and what I just do is go and tell it to update, which usually works.
I'm assuming you're here because that doesn't work.

In that case, I always keep a copy of the original versions of what I installed on my harddrive, and I went and uninstalled AVG and then reinstalled it with the original version. This should work.

Actually combofix did the job.
There was some residue of/or viruses that it managed to clean.
Thanks for the support

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.