When I click on red X in small download box in Firefox it just refuses to close no matter how often I press on it.
Sometimes web sites refuse to close as well.
Does anyone know why this happens?
Normally clicking on the X in top right hand corner closes a page.
Any help appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Is this a consistant problem? Ctrl+J should open and close the download box, give it a go. Does you computer run slow? Sometimes my browser will freeze IE or Firefox.

Is this a consistant problem? Ctrl+J should open and close the download box, give it a go. Does you computer run slow? Sometimes my browser will freeze IE or Firefox.

It has been constant over the last few days.
Yes, computer does run slow.
Can hang or freeze, too.
I use Firefox.
Found IE too slow.
I appreciate what you say about opening and closing the download box, but I don't understand why it won't close when I click on the X.
That is how it, and web pages, always closed previously.
Thanks for response.

I would suggest running a virus scan. Yes the download window should close by pressing the cross but if Ctrl+J worked fine then it could be a specific problem.

- Let us know if the virus scanner picks anything up.

I would suggest running a virus scan. Yes the download window should close by pressing the cross but if Ctrl+J worked fine then it could be a specific problem.

- Let us know if the virus scanner picks anything up.

I ran Spyware Terminator and Microsoft Security Essentials, and Avast is on all the time.
Ran Anti Malware Bytes also.
All have given a clean bill of health.
Switched on and off machine and box has gone.
But it does not go by pressing the cross.

this will not fix the not closing when you clickon hte x ,but it will /should close the box.
open firefox and go to tools /option and on the main scree check off close the box .see attachment

this will not fix the not closing when you clickon hte x ,but it will /should close the box.
open firefox and go to tools /option and on the main scree check off close the box .see attachment

The tools drop down box got jammed there for a few minutes!
Managed to get it closed again after I ticked the box that you recommended.
There is still the problem of web pages refusing to close, but I am very happy to have the downloads box problem sorted.
Many thanks for your help.

The tools drop down box got jammed there for a few minutes!

hi,sounds like you have other problems ,not sure what as you say you ran virus scan ,download ATF cleaner from Atribune and clean all to get rid of temp file s-it,just google atf cleaner ,
also check computer for dust inside ,and clean with compressed air or vacum,clean paint brush ,3 of the things i use!

hi,sounds like you have other problems ,not sure what as you say you ran virus scan ,download ATF cleaner from Atribune and clean all to get rid of temp file s-it,just google atf cleaner ,
also check computer for dust inside ,and clean with compressed air or vacum,clean paint brush ,3 of the things i use!

OK.
Will do.
Thanks for that.
Am getting vibes that problem could be to do with Firefox Add Ons.
Could be a slow trial and error process.

Was out for most of the night.
Turned on laptop when I got home.
Was very erratic for a time.
Was wondering if it was ever going to take off.
Then, out of nowhere, everything magically settles down, and the problem is resolved.
Boxes and webpages are closing without the slightest difficulty.
I can't explain what happened, because I don't know, but I had strongly come to suspect that the problem had to do with a Firefox Add On, specifically one called WOT - Web Of Trust, something that alerts to unsafe websites.
I very much appreciate all the help I received on this matter.
My sincere thanks to everyone who contributed.
I am happy to advise that this matter is now resolved.
Many thanks.

your welcome and good luck

your welcome and good luck

Thanks very much indeed.
You made a huge contribution, and I deeply appreciate the time and trouble that you took.
Best wishes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.