I hope that my title isn't going to throw you off. but i was wondering if anyone else has this problem and how can i fix it.

i have windows xp sp2(is there an update for that? i read something about sp3) and i want to view my file extensions. like for example one of my pictures is "lol.jpg". however, when i click on it, i only see "lol" and i want to see "lol.jpg".

so i follow the steps i've read online. i go to my computer. click tools, then folder options, then view. only to find out that i can't change it. there isn't a checkbox or anything. i tried double clicking and that doesn't help. since maybe it'd be easier if i included a picture:

[img]http://i38.tinypic.com/16glopc.gif[/img]

if anyone can help me, thank you so much!

Hi,
Try running this first and see how it goes.

Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC

If that can not fix your problem try these,

On-line Virus Scan

Go to one or all of these sites and do an online virus scan.

housecall.trendmicro.com

security.symantec.com

us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp

Check Malware

Go to http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
and download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

1. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
2. Make sure you put a check in the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
3. If an update is found, let it download and instal.
4. Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
5. When the scan is complete, click OK, then click Show Results to view the results.
6. Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
7. When completed, a log will open.

Check Spyware

Go to www.safer-networking.org and download and run Spybot

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.

I should have said that I don't know if these will work I just copied it from another post with a similar problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.