Hi There
From time to time my hard disc light will come on for no reason (no programs running ) and computer locks. Can also happen if am using Firefox or Word or similar, even when I have good free memory (say 200mb out of 500mb) (sony Laptop running XP) When this happens the desktop icons will not respond and cannot open any program. Cannot use the start button to restart . Can be like this for ten minutes or more.
Use ccleaner on a daily basis to remove unwanted files and also its registry cleaner. Update and run Norton daily and never find any problems. The only other word that I can add is HELP !

Whilst this problem may not be new to the group I am and so would not have seen the origonal answers

Thanks for the help that I feel sure I will get

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

sounds like it is a program running in the background,possibly Norton

Hi There
From time to time my hard disc light will come on for no reason (no programs running ) and computer locks. Can also happen if am using Firefox or Word or similar, even when I have good free memory (say 200mb out of 500mb) (sony Laptop running XP) When this happens the desktop icons will not respond and cannot open any program. Cannot use the start button to restart . Can be like this for ten minutes or more.
Use ccleaner on a daily basis to remove unwanted files and also its registry cleaner. Update and run Norton daily and never find any problems. The only other word that I can add is HELP !

Whilst this problem may not be new to the group I am and so would not have seen the origonal answers

Thanks for the help that I feel sure I will get

Have you tried running a memtest??

Many thanks Huggie --- will try to track it down beginning with start-up programmes as it often occurs just after booting

Tinman277

Sorry for delay -- have not been around

If it is Norton how do I detect it and how do I stop it

Many thanks

Sorry for delay -- have not been around

If it is Norton how do I detect it and how do I stop it

Many thanks

Hi Thanks

Have not been arounf hence late reply

Have tried this and it did stop 3 programs including messenger but not much difference. On booting on signing on one of the two users it hangs for sometime before signing in to desktop

Any ideas

Many thanks

when it freezes is the laptop hot, maybe a can of compressed air will help by blowing out air duct system

Hi There

No I would not say hot -- it is warm on the top surface on the righty hand side above the HD and warmer around the rear air duct -- do you think that air duct is dust blocked and if so should the air be blown into the duct itself when the macine is cold.
Wait to hear from you

Many thanks

Sorry Jezza 70 only just seen your post as it is a one-liner below my lengthy first post
Have recently done a hardware test with Fix-it and it reported all OK --- is there a better utility that you would suggest

Thanks for the help and once again sorry for the delay

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.