Hello;

Recently I restored a server from a crash, running Windows 2003 Small Business. Most of my computers are working fine on the network, but 3 of them are being a pain in the ass.

Their common problem is that their outlook 2003 sporadically disconnects from the exchange server. I have checked the server and its ok, so I believe this might be an outlook problem but i dont quite know where to even start.

Once i reboot the machines, they can connect fine... this wasnt happening before...

Any pointers?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hello;

Recently I restored a server from a crash, running Windows 2003 Small Business. Most of my computers are working fine on the network, but 3 of them are being a pain in the ass.

Their common problem is that their outlook 2003 sporadically disconnects from the exchange server. I have checked the server and its ok, so I believe this might be an outlook problem but i dont quite know where to even start.

Once i reboot the machines, they can connect fine... this wasnt happening before...

Any pointers?

GPalau, Have you received an answer to this problem?> I have the exact same thing happening on my network. 2 users have their Outlook 2003 disconnect sporatically. SOmetimes, simply reconnecting works, other times when I try to reconnect it asks me for their password and then connects other times I have to completely reboot. I have updated Outlook hoping that would solve the issue but it has not. Some are on XP pro SP2 some on SP1. Can anyone help?

Danny

Hi,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem. Thnaks.

Pete

Hi Guys

Best thing to do is to have a look in event viewer for any problems, and it should be easy to find a solution from there.

You can launch event viewer through "Admin Tools" on the Start menu (if configured) or via Start > Run > Type "eventvwr.msc"

Double Click on the Application Log to look for errors.

Either copy the event body text and Event ID of anything relevant into this post for us to look into, or check out the MS Link in the error, or google the Event ID.

Regards, Dave

Hi Guys

Best thing to do is to have a look in event viewer for any problems, and it should be easy to find a solution from there.

You can launch event viewer through "Admin Tools" on the Start menu (if configured) or via Start > Run > Type "eventvwr.msc"

Double Click on the Application Log to look for errors.

Either copy the event body text and Event ID of anything relevant into this post for us to look into, or check out the MS Link in the error, or google the Event ID.

Regards, Dave

We are seeing the same but the email server is 2003, it's only happening to laptops, only at this site, and the server is cenralized at this location.
People are being disconnected for almost a whole day then it moves on and the next day someone else may have the problem.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Mine did the same, only to realize that my exchange server was attacked by a virus. So try to scan for viruses in both the server and the affected pcs

looks like a networking problem.
I'd try to ping the server constantly (ping -t) and see if while outlook disconnects, so does the network, or the pings become too slow. that can be solved by "netsh winsock reset".
otherwise a sloution might be to backup the user's profile, get the pc out of the domain, and rejoin the domain

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.