Well lets take it from the top:
Windows 2k server (updated and service packed)
15 work stations running 2k pro or xp
Enterprise Resource Planning software (syteline)
IntraNet resources
Office Suite

When trying to browse the lan I get the following error
"No more connections can be made to this remote computer because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept."

The fix from Microscroft is bs, changing the autodisconnect does nothing as I do usually have 10 connections to the server.

Is this an oversite on MS part? Do they really mean to limit a servers connections to 10? How silly is that?

Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Urthlight
MIS
MCSE
CET
A+

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

The 10 user connection limit has been reached. check these pages for the more details,

connection errors
“No more connections can be made at this remote computer at this time because
there are already as many connections as the computer can accept“ ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/connectionerrors.htm - Similar pages

network errors
More Connections Can Be Made At This Time "Multiple connections to the ...
while the dialup connection is active "No operation can be performed on the ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/neterrors.htm

Greetings;
I'm new here and VERY excited about getting some additional help in this problem.

I am at my wits end here. I keep getting an error when using “net view at a dos prompt. It states:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System error 71 has occurred.

No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, when I use the net statistics server command, it states that I only have two sessions open:

Sessions accepted 2

Sessions timed-out 0

Sessions errored-out 0

Kilobytes sent 4

Kilobytes received 7

Mean response time 0

System errors 0

Permission violations 0

Password violations 0

Files accessed 3

Communication devices accessed 0

Print Jobs spooled 0

Times buffers exhausted

Big buffers 0

Requested buffers 0

----------------------------------

Can you tell me why I keep getting the System error 71 message and how to resolve this? I would be forever in your debt.

The amount of remote connections you can make to a machine depends on the licensing of your OS. Standard licenses allow up to two concurrent connections. Many of the basic server licenses allow ten. There are enterprise licenses that allow even more than that however, but they cost a pretty penny.

So, I'm assuming that I have the "standard" license. I don't understand how or why this would interfere with me trying to use "Net View".
The computers I am having this issue on are WindowsXP connected to a 2003 server domain. I am not running the license module on the server.
Is there a way I can change this "Standard" license number?

I read another thread in here and they mentioned that I might try tweaking the register. Here's what I did:
1. Start Registry Editor.
2. Locate, and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:
Value Name: RestrictAnonymous
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 2
Default: 0

A value of 2 restricts null session connections.

I had to reboot but it seems to be working. However, when I run net statistics server, it shows only one session now. That might be due to the reboot. I'll wait and see if it keeps working or not.

I hope it works out for you.

Nope. Didn't work. I changed it back and now I am getting the system error 72 message when logging on and attempting to map four drives to specific shared folders on the server.
Man, I just LOVE Microsoft. Each version just gets better and better....

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated.

I ended up ditching all Microsoft tech for servers a year ago just because of reasons such as this. They don't disclose limitations like this when you purchase the software and expect you to pay them to for the priviledge of finding out how truly limited the OS is. Then they tell you that you need to buy a new OS or upgrade your license. It's a stupid mess that they have created all in order to justify the need for MSCE certifications and higher-priced "server line" Windows versions.

In the end, I built a Linux server running Samba. Since then, I haven't had any problems accessing the network drives, doing remote logins to the local server, etc. The funny thing is that this didn't cost me one red cent, just a bit of time that ended up being far less than the time I spent diagnosing problems with my Windows server.

I got this message right after I turned on "License Logging" in services. I turned it right back off, and all the errors on all clients accessing file shares went away.

I got this message right after I turned on "License Logging" in services. I turned it right back off, and all the errors on all clients accessing file shares went away.

it really worked for me. thanks.

ChicagoTech (and others) indicate the cause of the problem, but what is the resolution?

If our LAN has more than 10 workstations is the 11th station that tries to connect to the server simply out of luck? Are there any practical workarounds available?

Is upgrading (Windows Server 2003?) or changing OS (Linux/Samba?) the only way to solve this problem?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.