Windows problem opening doc’s
Hi, my friend has a problem I have not come across before: I put my U.S.B stick
In his computer to open a word document and I clicked on the file to open it I then
Got do you want to save! I then went into his documents and tried to open a file.

I got the same however if I open Microsoft word, clicked on file, click on open,
Select a file and I can open it. windows XP (can only open a file in word not from my
doc's or other
Anyone got any idea’s
Thanks john

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sounds like you are missing or have a bad file association where the doc or docx is associated with Internet Explorer. You need to check and re-associate the doc/docx extension with the application 'word.exe'.

Hi,thankyou for your reply however can you please explain in more detail. thanks

Hi, Thanks for the link however i have XP. but as soon as i saw it i realised: My documents,tools,folder options,file types. then select the file you wish to change.
john

Note that a few applications (not Word) will do this if a file is already open. It must save the old file before closing it to open the new one. MSpaint does this.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.