For those of you who are curious how you got the Yahoo Toolbar on your PC without your knowledge, seems many of the Adobe/Macromedia products (Reader, Flash, etc) 'offer' to install the yahoo toolbar for you while you're installing the program you intended to install.

This is usually a very small checkbox somewhere...very annoying, and very low-class if you ask me. In my case it also seemed to conflict with the Google Toolbar (which, UNLIKE the yahoo toolbar, is Very Cool). It's really distressing to me to note that this issue with the Yahoo toolbar still exists over a YEAR after the problem first showed up...

Anyway, it's great that there are communities like this out here. Thanks!

Fantastic! - I have been having this problem for months - I didn't even know that I had the Yahoo toolbar program installed, until I went to the 'add/remove' window. The toolbar was removed and I can now open as many browser windows as I like withaout any of them closing - thanks a million!

I cant find any sign of yahoo toolbar (or in prog files) but still cant open anymore than 2 IE windows. Thougt I'd found the prob when I read all you happypeople, but I'm still tearing my hair out. Any more ideas folks?

I cant find any sign of yahoo toolbar (or in prog files) but still cant open anymore than 2 IE windows. Thougt I'd found the prob when I read all you happypeople, but I'm still tearing my hair out. Any more ideas folks?

I had the same problem, I couldn't find a version of Yahoo under the "add/remove programs".. I got lucky while playing around with it, just before I pulled out my last hair.:eek:

Go to the tools menu and look under "manage add-ons". That is where my yahoo toolbar was hiding, it didn't show up on the add/remove program. I disabled it from the add-on menu and it immediately fixed my problem. It is still sitting out there somewhere, just disabled. I can't figure out how to completely delete it, but it still fixed the problem.

Good luck and thanks to everyone for pointing me toward the culprit.

I had the same problem, I couldn't find a version of Yahoo under the "add/remove programs".. I got lucky while playing around with it, just before I pulled out my last hair.:eek:

Go to the tools menu and look under "manage add-ons". That is where my yahoo toolbar was hiding, it didn't show up on the add/remove program. I disabled it from the add-on menu and it immediately fixed my problem. It is still sitting out there somewhere, just disabled. I can't figure out how to completely delete it, but it still fixed the problem.

Good luck and thanks to everyone for pointing me toward the culprit.

Your response looked so promising. But alas i dont have anything in Add-Ons that makes any reference to Yahoo. Can still only open two IE windows. I live in hope. Thx anyway, P :confused:

Thanks to all who submitted on this aging issue. At first I went looking elseware because I did not have the Yahoo tool bar, nor any other landscape stealing add on. But I went into control programs ADD/Remove and there Yahoo tool bar was. It had no visible controls on my browser but still prevented me from opening multiple browser windows. As the web master for lostbattalion games (shameless plug) this was embarrisment as well as a professional ding.

I’m running Internet Explorer 6 and I am having trouble having multiple browser windows open. If I try to open more than one window, then Internet Explorer just shuts down. Also, if I visit a website and a small pop-up opens, then, again, the whole thing closes down.

The problem seems to have started when I downloaded the update for a web accelerator program called Onspeed. I have disabled and closed this program but Internet Explorer still does the same thing.

I have run my Anti-virus software (Norton) and I have run my spyware software (Pest patrol and Spybot). None of these detected anything. I even reinstalled Internet Explorer; again, no luck!

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any views or advice on this matter.

Kind regards,

Picko70

Go to advanced tab in Internet Explorer 6 under Tools\Internet Options\Advanced
Scroll down to the 19th check box, It states if you wat to REUSE WINDOW when you launch an icon
That means when you click on the IE6 Icon then it reuses the same window you have open rather than opening a new one
Unchecked it means that when you launch an con it will lauch in a new window of its own. Hope this helps

thnxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wjbarton,really it was problem of yahoo toolbar.thnx again...

commented: Zombie -1
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.