I have Windows XP and Internet Explorer V6...My cable modem is working fine and i can access the internet on AOL but for some reason when I try to go on any website on my internet explorer...it just says

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

Please help if you know any solution...any help would be appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Thanks for the help...i tried both IEFix and WinSockXPFix but had no success...i also already downloaded firefox and it works fine so it must be a problem of internet explorer

Close IE and go to Start > Run and run the following commands one after the other, each line followed by 'enter':

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 comcat.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll

Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful. Reboot.

Trying to follow the thread....I too have I.E (v.7) that will not open a website. I get the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Another computer on my wireless home network is fine.

I did the "regsvr32 ***" as suggested below and all entries worked except one.

When I tried to run "Mshtml.dll" I got the message saying "RegSvr 32...mshtml.dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. The file can not be registered".

I have no idea where to go next. This started when I tried to uninstall McAfee antivirus/firewall, and install AVG for both. At present i have uninstalled both AVG and McAfee trying to get I.E. to work.

Ideas??

Thanks,

LDE

Have you tried to do a SYSTEM RESTORE to before you uninstalled Mcafee?

If that works,you can use REGSEEKER to clean up your registry of the Mcafee stuff (Since doing a restore will put it all back in the reg (Most of it)) and then reinstall AVG (Since its keys will be gone)

Good luck!

Have you tried to do a SYSTEM RESTORE to before you uninstalled Mcafee?

If that works,you can use REGSEEKER to clean up your registry of the Mcafee stuff (Since doing a restore will put it all back in the reg (Most of it)) and then reinstall AVG (Since its keys will be gone)

Good luck!

I had my fingers crossed, but I just tried to restore to every available date indicated, none worked.

Larry

Hmmmm,most times it does work.......

Im sorry it didnt :(

Hmmmm,most times it does work.......

Im sorry it didnt :(

Me too! But I took a couple days off and hit the problem again today. I plugged an ethernet cable from the router directly into the problem laptop. Bingo....when I clicked on Internet Explorer a page came up to download I.E. v7. I was running that before, but thought...maybe something is new or different. I downloaded v. 7, and tried to "Restore" again...it worked perfectly! You were right, it should have worked. there must have been some connection to IE v.7.

What started this was my attempt to get rid of "jaymyka.wen9.com" virus. McAfee didn't catch it or deal with it. That's why I was uninstalling McAfee and going to try AVG.

Now I'm nervous about doing ANYthing! :-)

Larry

Very good im glad it ended up working :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.