I'm not a techie person, so easy on your replies :
I have Windows 98
I connect to the internet via AOL
I use both IExplorer and Netscape
I'm getting LOW RESOURCES msg and the computer locks up (everything). The only way to temporarily repair the problem is to reboot.
I've reloaded AOL, IExplorer, Netscape, still same problem.
I ran Spy s/w over and over again... every time it finds something new, which leads me to believe that there's something running in the 'background' causing the adware garbage...
Any ideas on stopping the LOW RESOURCES problem?
Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I'm not a techie person, so easy on your replies:
I have Windows 98
I connect to the internet via AOL
I use both IExplorer and Netscape
I'm getting LOW RESOURCES msg and the computer locks up (everything). The only way to temporarily repair the problem is to reboot.

I recommend a two-pronged approach, using free programs that are especially useful in this case.

Windows 98 has a built-in resource meter. Ironically, it is such a resource hog itself as to be totally useless in a case like this. Fortunately, the free TinyResMeter can be easily configured to monitor system resources. There's no need to unzip or install it; just run it. When the little "bug" icon appears in the System Tray, right click on it. Go to the Fields menu and select the following items: CPU usage, SYS, GDI, and RAM (there are other fields as well, but these are of the most interest right now). Initially, this will at least give you warning of impending doom -- when SYS and/or GDI drop below about 40%, you are in the danger zone.

Next, download and run CodeStuff Starter and/or HijackThis to find out what's running. Note: read the instructions on the linked page for HjT very carefully (the main download link is broken -- use one of the mirrors). Do not actually remove anything from your startup or Registry until you have posted the log that it generates and are given explicit instructions on what to remove. See my article (linked below) for more on these. I recommended Starter specifically because it can be used to kill a process while keeping an eye on TinyResMeter for system response.

When you installed AOL and Netscape, you also installed useless accessories and so-called quality of service (QoS) corporate spyware. It may not be malicious, but it's definitely excess baggage. Both Starter and HjT have the ability to save out the process list so you can show us what's running and we can tell you what to strip out. Start with Netscape -- download and install Mozilla instead. Netscape is based on an older Mozilla version and has added AOL bloatware, as mentioned above.

Thanks for your reply, sorry for my lack of knowledge, but you mention TinyResMeter and System Tray. Can you give me step-by-step instructions on where I can access this? I do already have codestuffer... Though I did not see anything unusual listed there, I'll get a listing of that and post it here..
One more question>> is Mozilla used like Netscape or Internet Explorer?

Thanks for your reply, sorry for my lack of knowledge, but you mention TinyResMeter and System Tray. Can you give me step-by-step instructions on where I can access this? I do already have codestuffer... Though I did not see anything unusual listed there, I'll get a listing of that and post it here..
One more question>> is Mozilla used like Netscape or Internet Explorer?

OK, let's back up a step. In my original message, the highlighted words in blue (for example "TinyResMeter") are all clickable hyperlinks (the word "clickable" is another one) -- in the TinyResMeter example, the download link for the program. The System Tray I made reference to is the area in the lower-right corner, next to the clock, where a group of icons are placed which represent currently-running programs that you can interact with by either double-clicking the icon (to activate in some way) or right-clicking (to bring up a menu). These programs usually include virus checkers, firewalls, and other programs that launch at startup. Once you understand those concepts, the rest should follow.

As far as Netscape vs. Mozilla, Netscape 7 is Mozilla -- an old version (1.3, I think. Current is 1.6) with AOL advertising added.

Thanks for your clarification... I feel stupid now...
Anyhow, when I get home this evening, I'll follow your advise and I'll post tomorrow what I find out.

Sorry for the long delay in posting back... I've gotten back into this and have found out that SpyBot does find every time LOOK2ME and from what I've researched on the net, this is a deviant spyware program that attaches itself to Windows. So though I've tried to delete it from the registry, it comes back every single time... have you run into this spyware program and what are your suggestions for removing it? and what can I get to protect my computer from such beasts?
Thanks again.

I've gotten back into this and have found out that SpyBot does find every time LOOK2ME and from what I've researched on the net, this is a deviant spyware program that attaches itself to Windows. So though I've tried to delete it from the registry, it comes back every single time... have you run into this spyware program and what are your suggestions for removing it?

Here's some specific information for you: Look2me Removal Instructions and Help.

Spybot Search & Destroy has an "Immunize" function that blocks a lot of the bad stuff. You can also download SpywareBlaster, which can help, too. You should read my article, the link is in my sig below.

The use of Mozilla for the majority of your browsing will also reduce problems, since ActiveX and browser helper objects are unique to Internet Explorer. You will still have to use IE for a few sites, but the number is (thankfully) decreasing.

The look2me link that you mention I already used and I've attempted to get rid of look2me with those directions... but the program is so horrible that even though I deleted from the registry and followed each step, still nothing... I even tried to edit the registry in safe mode and I still can't get rid of it... Norton does detect it, but it can't be deleted... So I'm stuck with this unwanted pest.
If you run into anything else that I can try or you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
I read your articles too -- I am taking your suggestion to use Mozilla as my web browser. I'll install it tonight as well as the Pop-Op Professional program.
thanks again. I jumped to NetZero from AOL too.. I still get a few pop-ups, but I feel safer with NetZero than with AOL.

I found a 'cure' for look2me.... there's a program called kill2me that zapped it.
Also I bought McAffee Firewall Plus, and I'm running SpyBot daily. And also the Norton AntiVirus program as well. So I feel much more secure than I've had in the past.
Thanks again for your help...

Also, you can try this to free up some system resources, go to run and type msconfig, when the box pops up click the startup tab. There will be a big list of different items with checkboxes, some items you might recognize for these uncheck the items you dont need to turn on at start up, for the ones that you dont recognize go to www.sysinfo.org and under startup items enter the names of the startup items you dont know, the website will tell you what it is and if you need it. (The more you uncheck the more resources youll get, but if you dont know what something is, find out before you uncheck it) :D Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.