Hiyaaa

Basically I suck at technology as I said!

I would like to know how I should connect my Dell PC and my Mac iBook to the internet at the same time.
I am going to be getting wireless net soon, but would like to know what I need to buy and what I need to do to make it all work smoothly!

The model of my ibook is the G3 (M6497 Model)

Also I read somewhere something about an AirPort being needed? I'm not too sure what this is but from what I can tell I don't have one.
Will I be able to just plug something in, or will I have to open up my laptop?

Also, is wireles net safe??? I've heard different things from different people. And if it isn't too safe but there is a way of making it safe, could anyone give me information on that too?

Hope you're all well.

Thanks for checking this out!

Han. :)

There are many ways. In fact, the various possibilities are the main cause of confusion.

I recently set up a home wireless network involving XP and Vista, but not one exactly the same as yours. So I'll give you this reply, and someone else may well give you better advice, or advice more specific to your needs. Um—follow their advice if there's a difference.

I'm not quite sure whether your Dell is a desktop or not. The first thing we need to know is whether you have one computer that is connected by a cable to either ADSL or a router.

If so, please say you do, and whether it is the Dell (or maybe an older desktop computer, for example).

Basically you build your new home network from that one computer that is connected by a cable. (It is not essential, but it is the preferred way if possible.)

If you have only ADSL, you would likely buy a wireless router for something like $50-$70. Then you would follow the router instructions which would guide you in connecting your router to the ADSL line (which, of course, involves rearranging your ADSL cable to the router) and then connecting a cable between the router and your desktop computer.

Although we speak of a wireless router, we mean a router that is in fact connected by a cable within your ADSL system, but which subsequently transmits radio waves across your living room to other devices that are not connected by cables.

There is just one point to watch: when the instructions tell you to make connections and then to WAIT a minute or so, they MEAN IT. The router and your ADSL modem do a little dance together, and the sequence is vital. You can't just reconnect a bunch of cables and expect everything to work, because it won't.

Once you have your desktop system connected, you usually set a password on your new wireless network connection. This answers your question about security. It isolates your account from being borrowed by other people who might want to download files. DO NOT use your so-called MAC address (which you will be introduced to, along the way) for a password of any kind. Some companies suggest that you DO, and that can really mess things up.

Hopefully, once you have carefully got everything just right on your base system, you will find anything else is very easy. You secondary system will find your passworded network almost automatically, and when you enter the password you are home free. IN YOUR DREAMS, some readers are thinking. But let's see how you do up to there, and then you can write back for an update.

You're a legend! Thanks so much for your reply, and thank you for making it sound simple! Haha.
But yeah, thank you :)

Oh and my Dell is a desktop yes. Its about 5 years old I thinkkk.
I'm guessing I'm connected to an ADSL... because I know it definitely isn't a router what I'm using lol.

Thanks again,

Han. :)

ps. Does anyone know what I'll need to do with my laptop with regards to not having an included AirPort that I've heard people mention?

Hi, Han,

Well, I hope all goes well for you. A few more details:

— As far as knowing what you have connected, you might like to get the tiny freeware program called HoverIP v1.0 beta. It will make you look very clued-in if you find yourself getting telephone help from your router company. It is at
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

— Your new notebook is a Mac, but your Dell desktop is on XP, right? When your router setup mentions your MAC address, that has nothing whatsoever to do with your Mac computer. A MAC address is for "Media Access Control" (i.e. "MAC") and is simply keeping track of your ethernet hardware and the same things that Hover IP will help you with.

— You need to know a bit more about how you connect with your telephone company. Reason: people will be asking you. Maybe you have an external ADSL ethernet modem, which is a small box with lights on it, which sits close to your computer. These external modems are often blue in colour. If you have an internal device, then obviously it's not visible to you. As soon as you go to buy a wireless router, you'll be asked what kind of connection you have.

— When you buy your router, it will include some software you don't need ("bloatware"). It can be hard on a person unfamiliar with the way things work, because companies you don't need or want try to horn in on the action, and so you find yourself being steered into signing up with them. Watch out for that. You can end up with 3 or 4 or 5 programs all trying to do the same thing for you, in a supreme gesture of redundancy. The legit systems you actually need are

• your Dell's—if that is on XP, you can see it via START > Control Panel > Network Connections
  • and the router's, which will give you a website URL where you can see how you're doing online; you set up some things there (and if you don't know how, you end up phoning the router company; my TrendNet router telephone support was very, very helpful)
  • and, when you go to connect your notebook online, you'll be using its Mac system.

Again, good luck. When I did the same thing setting up a notebook on Vista, there was only one thing that REALLY, REALLY annoyed me: and that was Vista continually telling me how nice and easy Vista had made everything—when levels of frustration were heading perilously close to a show of defenestration.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.