When I log into my pc, the network needs to be disabled and then enabled again before it can be used. There are no error messages and it appears to be working in the network properties page. It even clams to be receiving packets (but only 2).
I am running an up to date copy of win2000, my network card is a Linksys Wireless - G PCI adapter (WMP54G) and the router is a Netgear Wireless ASDL firewall router (DG834G). I am also running McAffee Guardian.
I know this seems like an inconvenience but as I don’t know what is coursing it, it is a worry as well.
Thanks in advanced for you help.

Qusac

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

First of all, disable McAfee entirely and see if that changes anything. Let us know what happens and we'll take it from there.

First of all, disable McAfee entirely and see if that changes anything. Let us know what happens and we'll take it from there.

Ok did that and it worked with McAffee off.
When I start the firewall it stops the connection so it seems resanable that there is a setting wrong??
I do not like the idea of having to remember to start the firewall each time so if anyone has any ideas of what setting may be wrong I'd be gratefull.

N. Costa

Which exact McAfee package (including version) are you using? The configuration options can vary between the different products/versions.

Which exact McAfee package (including version) are you using? The configuration options can vary between the different products/versions.

Sorry :o its taken so long the ISP had some problems as well so have not been online :mad: .
The firewall is McAfee Guardian v3.01.1000.0 (v number from the about section)
It was installed as part of McAfee VirusScan Professional Edition v7
Thanx for the help in advanced.
Just ask if you need any more info.

Nick

Well... there seem to be a lot of unhappy people out there who've had similar problems with that version. Unfortunately, some of them were never even able to get a solution; they had to uninstall it.

Here are a couple of things to look at; you might at least be able to narrow things down by checking these out:

1. Look through the list of applications that McAfee has configured for Internet/network access. Make sure it hasn't mistakenly decided to block access for any applications or services that it shouldn't have. If it has done that, you'll need to manually reset the access permissions for those programs.

2. Try temporarilly disabling individual components of the firewall package such as IDS (incoming intrusion detection), privacy filters, etc.

3. If you can, eliminate the possibility of a specific conflict with your wireless card/configuration by plugging the computer directly into the router with an Ethernet cable.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.