Me and my friend want to have a way to share our music, videos and other stuff throught a shared folder for just us or if not just for us with a password protection. She lives like down the block from me. If some one could be help us!!!! I have tired the FTP ing thing and that is to hard for me to work..(setting it up.) :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Ok...one of two ways...Either a VPN (recommended for security) or you would both join the same workgroup, same subnet, and then enable printer and file sharing (full of security holes) and you'd be able to do things fine.

Windows has a built in VPN that you can use...try this document to configure it:

http://rucs.rutgers.edu/vpn/vpn_files/os_clients.php3

Hope this helps.

You can use remote desktop control software for this sort of thing. Then you don't have to mess with Windows networking.

Member Avatar for TKSS

ick...remote desktop? ew...why do that when transfer speeds for what he wants to do will be so much better and more secure via VPN? There are a ton of holes to punch through with remote desktop enabled.

Ok...one of two ways...Either a VPN (recommended for security) or you would both join the same workgroup, same subnet, and then enable printer and file sharing (full of security holes) and you'd be able to do things fine.

Windows has a built in VPN that you can use...try this document to configure it:

http://rucs.rutgers.edu/vpn/vpn_files/os_clients.php3

Hope this helps.

Is the built in VPN legit? I have been looking to do something like this for so long using a VPN. do you know if it makes "lan" games possible? by fooling the computer into believing that the two computers are directly linked? In theroy this woudl work.

I was just hoping that you might have some experience doing this?

Thanks!

Member Avatar for TKSS

As for me...I did things the easy way when I was first starting with XP Networking...I went with the 10 minute Linux Firewall (there is a tutorial I wrote here on this) using Smoothwall Linux. It took about 20 minutes to install and configure and I had a network setup with VPN...and this is especially good for LAN gaming.

I had a 16 port hub and a WAP. People just plugged in and were on the LAN in less than a minute. If I wanted to transfer files in between XP machines, I used the VPN settings via smoothwall to enable the function and I was secure, fast, and done. Plus, if you ask a smoothwall user via their forums if they've ever been hacked...the answer is always 'NO'...it is one of the best Firewall/VPN clients out there and can run on a spare 150Mhz computer. I'd recommend going that route for ultimate security and configurability.

If you want to check it out, the tutorial is here: http://daniweb.com/tutorials/14094.html

Hope it helps!

As for me...I did things the easy way when I was first starting with XP Networking...I went with the 10 minute Linux Firewall (there is a tutorial I wrote here on this) using Smoothwall Linux. It took about 20 minutes to install and configure and I had a network setup with VPN...and this is especially good for LAN gaming.

I had a 16 port hub and a WAP. People just plugged in and were on the LAN in less than a minute. If I wanted to transfer files in between XP machines, I used the VPN settings via smoothwall to enable the function and I was secure, fast, and done. Plus, if you ask a smoothwall user via their forums if they've ever been hacked...the answer is always 'NO'...it is one of the best Firewall/VPN clients out there and can run on a spare 150Mhz computer. I'd recommend going that route for ultimate security and configurability.

If you want to check it out, the tutorial is here: http://daniweb.com/tutorials/14094.html

Hope it helps!

I looked at the link you said for the built in vpn.. but it really isnt a built in vpn.. it is just how windows accesses another vpn? So i dont see how that helps me out? haha. sorry! i am lost.

I do not have an extra machine around. I am at school, not home :( so the smoothwall path is out of the question right?

Just when i thought I was home free and i could use a vpn.. i am right back to where I was before! haha. damn.

-Jonny

Member Avatar for TKSS

there is free and open source VPN software you can use on XP...gimme a sec and I'll find a link for you...

Member Avatar for TKSS

Ok...got a free VPN solution that works for Windows 2000/XP. If you can install a program onto the computers you're discussing...you can use it.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/tinc/

They have a mailing list for help, documentation online, and a FAQ. See if that will get you what you need?

Ok...got a free VPN solution that works for Windows 2000/XP. If you can install a program onto the computers you're discussing...you can use it.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/tinc/

They have a mailing list for help, documentation online, and a FAQ. See if that will get you what you need?

thanks a ton for the help! I am going to try it out right now.

thanks a ton for the help! I am going to try it out right now.

holy shit. That is such a complicated way to go. I appreciate the help.. but it is insane!! haha :cry:

There are soo many extra libraries to download, in extensions i have never heard of. so far i am up to downloading files from 6 other sites.. and none of it makes sense, i dont know how to even begin to start running the program to get it to set up. I do not consider myself to be an amateur computer user either. This stuff is just really crazy. Unless you really know what you are doing (i mean REALLY REALLY know) its hopeless. ugh. sigh. there went a good 45 minutes.

holy shit. That is such a complicated way to go. I appreciate the help.. but it is insane!! haha :cry:

There are soo many extra libraries to download, in extensions i have never heard of. so far i am up to downloading files from 6 other sites.. and none of it makes sense, i dont know how to even begin to start running the program to get it to set up. I do not consider myself to be an amateur computer user either. This stuff is just really crazy. Unless you really know what you are doing (i mean REALLY REALLY know) its hopeless. ugh. sigh. there went a good 45 minutes.

:lol:

I totally agree with him. I just need to know if there is a easy way to transfer files back and forth. I don't know where to begin on the VPN. I was told that there are ports that your broadband people have to open and it cost money. I will use FTP program just as long as it is easy to use and easy to sety up. the person that i am sharind stuff with is more dumb with computers then me. :rolleyes:

:lol:

I totally agree with him. I just need to know if there is a easy way to transfer files back and forth. I don't know where to begin on the VPN. I was told that there are ports that your broadband people have to open and it cost money. I will use FTP program just as long as it is easy to use and easy to sety up. the person that i am sharind stuff with is more dumb with computers then me. :rolleyes:

If it is just basic file transfer you are looking at.. I once used windows built in ftp... which is relatively easy to use. It allows your (really dumb friend! haha j/k) to easily access your files via internet explorer by merely typing in your ip address. Its very easy and straightforward. I will try to find the tutorial. I know how to do it.. but you must download something for windows.. its like the .net library or something? I dont remember. And you have to enable something. like i said, i will just try to find the tutorial for you. Because seriously, that vpn thing that i went on a hunt for is impossible!!!! :mrgreen:

ick...remote desktop? ew...why do that when transfer speeds for what he wants to do will be so much better and more secure via VPN? There are a ton of holes to punch through with remote desktop enabled.

I was not talking about XP's remote desktop feature. I was talking about 3rd party remote desktop software in a generic sense. Only about 1 packet in 7 in a VPN actually goes into data transfer and the rest is used to support the tunnel. Windows browsing under these conditions is awful unless you have major bandwidth.

ok, have you tired running a dc++hub and a DC++ client, with one being a hub 2 way sharing ad secure.. google for links but it will work

VNC is a remote desktop app and is free - works really well.

If the guy cannot figure out how to do a basic FTP then I dont think he would be able to get a VPN set up correctly.

I think it we could walk him through setting up a FTP without much trouble...

What FTP server did you try to setup?
What FTP program did you use to try and access it from the other machine?

If the guy cannot figure out how to do a basic FTP then I dont think he would be able to get a VPN set up correctly.

I think it we could walk him through setting up a FTP without much trouble...

What FTP server did you try to setup?
What FTP program did you use to try and access it from the other machine?

I tired smart ftp and bullet proff and u-serve

I tired smart ftp and bullet proff and u-serve

cesar FTP works gr8 tryit..
take it from my site
should be there

www.ac3bf1.com ("downloads" section and go to "apps" and i think "server realted")
ill check

http://www.wfshome.com/ is a nice little app and allows password protection of folders the site tells you how to set it all up

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.