Is it possible to manually configure a route end to end from one IP to another on a Windows machine? I'm somewhat familiar with routing and IP networking.

For example, say I do a traceroute from my IP "1.1.1.1" to some other IP "5.5.5.5" on the internet and get the following hops:

1.) 1.1.1.1
2.) 2.2.2.2
3.) 3.3.3.3
4.) 4.4.4.4
5.) 5.5.5.5

And say I do not have any control over the routers listed above. Is it possible to configure a route on my Windows machine to use a different path only to that IP? Or is it entirely up to the routers only? I want to configure one route to one IP address, and specify each hop in that route, something like this:

1.) 1.1.1.1
2.) 8.8.8.8
3.) 9.9.9.9
4.) 7.7.7.7
5.) 5.5.5.5

Possible?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

I do not think that this is possible. In order to keep the Internet effective and fault-tolerant, devices on the internet look for the 'next router up'.

Your computer is configured for something called a Default Gateway. That device itself has a default gateway... all these gateways deal with traffic that is not on the devices particular subnet.

For example...

your box is 192.168.1.15, and you have a couple computers inside your house.... 1.20, 1.25, 1.30 Your box is told that the default gw is your interface to the outside world... such as the wireless router to the cable modem... and that box has 2 ip numbers... 192.168.1.1 and 69.21.21.21.

So, anything that your box does that doesn't access the 192.168 network gets sent to your default route 192.168.1.1 The IP protocol definition is now complete... if not local stuff, send it to the default gateway. Once onto the public internet, it looks for the domain that you are trying to reach, and finds the path.

Besides, how would your hardcoded program work if there was a configuration change? Not too well.

Christian

Sadly, this thread dates back to 2005, so probably, the post's authors aren't reachable anymore. But it's important nevertheless for other people who'd like to do the same or have the same problem / question.

Manually setting up routes is important.

I don't just want to set up a singular route.

My problem is right now:

I got Windows together with the PC. So XP is owned by me. Now, Tiny XP Beast runs a LOT faster, and it ain't true it hasn't got Scanner or other capabilities like print support.

I'll post here again if it can't install printers, but I don't think so.

The only disadvantage of not super new versions of Tiny XP Beast Edition - in the new Revision 05 this has been overcome, the whole problem, which leaves a user of an older Tiny XP with the great prospect of having to reinstall Windows entirely -, the only flaw of Tiny XP is that ports are closed.

Not only for P2P, but foremostly for a net admin ports are needed for Ultra VNC and Teamviewer, Hamachi for the gamechatters among us, and many others.

PfConfig is a good tool, but not freeware. PfConfig would be a good way to manually st up routes for specific ports in Windows so they are open for traffic. I will buy it, I think, it's only once some 40 Dollars. That's alright, one evening outside is often more expensive.

BUT: I really would like to learn how Windows works in networking. Is it ever possible to manually re-introduce port support in such a stripped-down version of Windows (I think evry user already has its own configuration of an optimized Win, it's clear that the original Win is bloated and leads to self-destruction and data loss and runs slowly and insecurely and unstable - in the orginal state, that is. Also because of the activation check, it can't be encrypted by Truecrypt which shouldn't be the case with Tiny XP!) for specific ports?

I ain't got any software firewall running, anyway, only in my good Zyxel 660MERUT1 and my good other router DLink D-514 FW 1.05b (now updateable to 2.01, actually).

At the time, and mostly, I don't use my router, cuz he is WLAN and I don't want too much radio around my precious brain while sleeping and during times I don't need my WLAN.

SO, I only use my Zyxel Modem. MAybe I'll change my ISP at the end of this year, but that doesn't matter. Because it's clearly the fault of Tiny XP Rev 2,3 or 4, that ports are closed.

Before I used the normal WinXP Home some many years, all was fine, except performance.
Nliting one's Win often leads to faulty basic configurations missing crucial components urgently needed later on. Tiny XP is a good start, there. It is a well-working basic stripdown of Windoofus.

Anyone got an idea how to manually configure ports in Windows?

And, if port forwarding support has been disabled or even deinstalled, how to re-introduce it?

Thx a lot anyone, April 17, 2008

Jackdawannabehack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.