In need of assistance. I am trying to cover a big area wirelessly. I have 3 APs. They are not all the same brand. One is WAP54G and the two others are Belkin Routers (used as APs). The setup is as follows: The Cable Modem is connected to a netgear 4 port switch (FVS114). The switch is then connected to another switch (#1). Switch #1 is connected to AP#1 (Belkin) and to another switch (#2). Switch #2 is connected to AP#2 (also a Belkin) and to another AP (Linksys). The first Belkin router is configured as an AP. I think that I need to reset all of the APs so that they match. I am only confused as to whether or not they can all have the same SSID and Gateway Address and Subnet Mask. Currently, only the first Belkin AP works. The other APs are having trouble allowing devices to connect to them locally. Please respond as soon as possible. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You should be able to have the same SSID.

But, one thing i would do is plug them all into one switch. Having a switch go to one switch and then to another and so on wouldn't be such a good idea.

How much area are you wanting to cover?

That's just it. It's such a weird shape and distance. It's kind of like an "L". The modem is at one end and the distance prevents me from being able to run cat6 cables throughout. So, I resorted to multiple switches. The configuration worked for a few months after initial setup. However, it went out a couple of weeks back. I don't know what went wrong. I had all of the APs configured with the same SSID and same Gateway Address and Subnet.

If you set it up correctly, you could have it work as a repeater system.

If it "went out" than something has happened along the way, a switch maybe or a cable. I would check everything.

If you set it up correctly, you could have it work as a repeater system.

If it "went out" than something has happened along the way, a switch maybe or a cable. I would check everything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.