I just bought an Acer Aspire 6920 running Windows Vista premium. I have a wireless network at home that my son has used to play XBox with no probs thru a Netgear WGT624v3 router. The laptop says I'm connected to the network but I can't get ANY internet. Could someone please help?

ajb

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I just bought an Acer Aspire 6920 running Windows Vista premium. I have a wireless network at home that my son has used to play XBox with no probs thru a Netgear WGT624v3 router. The laptop says I'm connected to the network but I can't get ANY internet. Could someone please help?

ajb

I also had a problem like you got.When we connect the router to the computer in windows vista there is a quick window asking whether to accept the connection or not.If we just ignore that window we wont be able to connect to the internet.If you have done something like that switch off the router & restart the computer & connect the router again.Hope this will solve your problem.

Try turning off the Vista Firewall and change the internet settings to "Private Network" to relax the Windows security system. I had the same problem at work with a financial consultant who would bring his Vista laptop. He never could connect to our wireless network unless I changed the security settings to Private.

Although I haven't tried this yet, it seems to be a temporary fix since I will want to access the internet in other palces besides my home. Am I missing something?...I really am a newbie

I plugged my laptop directly into the modem and that worked, I was able to go on the internet where I wanted. When I plug directly into the router it doesn't work and of course when I try wireless that still doesn't work either. Does this help diagnose my prob?

tried powering down modem and router then bringing everything back up first the modem, then the router, then the laptop. Still nothing on the internet

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.