I have a few questions here that I really don't know how to approach, any thought would be appreciate it:

-Under what conditions would a computer construct a frame with a destination Ethernet (or MAC) address of the destination computer it wants to communicate with? What would be the destination IP address in the IP header of the packet contained within that frame?

-Under what conditions would a computer construct a frame with a destination Ethernet (or MAC) address of its own default router? What might be the destination IP address in the IP header of the packet contained within that frame?

- Suppose “Client” in building A wants to send a ping packet (echo request) to “Client” in building B. What destination IP address will the packet have? What destination MAC address will the frame (containing that IP packet) that ClientA constructs have?

- Suppose www1.anyorg.com has the IP address for ClientA, but does not have any MAC addresses in its ARP table other than its own. www1.anyorg.com wants to send a ping packet to ClientA. Describe the sequence of network events. Be sure to list table lookups, network-based queries, with source and destination, and network-based replies, with source and destination.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Is this from a textbook? What are prompting these questions? Just curious...

-Under what conditions would a computer construct a frame with a destination Ethernet (or MAC) address of the destination computer it wants to communicate with? What would be the destination IP address in the IP header of the packet contained within that frame?

That sounds like a question alluding to packet encapsulation... I'd read up on that concept first.

yea they are questions from the book! I'm studying for tests! please help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.