Hello Daniweb,

I am planning on moving a telephone socket downstairs so that I can move the router from the back corner of a granite house into the middle of it, so hopefully the wireless signal shall be better for everyone.

In the house there are two telephone lines, one which is used solely for telephone calls and the other which is used for a mix between telephone and supplying broadband. The line which is supplying broadband has it's master, and only socket in the top corner of the house, which is where the router is at present (shall call it Socket1 from now on).

I have an "Extension Kit for NTE5 Line Box" and I was wondering whether wiring this up to the current master socket, dropping it through the eaves and running it to the more suitable location with a face plate would mean I can then attach an ADSL filter and use it as I would normally?

Is this how it works (I wouldn't be doing the wiring, I would use a telecomms engineering, but hopefully someone can tell me whether or not it is even worth phoning them)?
Would there be any significant interferance and/or line quality issues for using this method for broadband?

And finally, the age old question... who actually owns the Master Socket? Me or my telecomms provider?

Thank you

So, I'm not familiar with some of the terminilogoy you are using, but my understanding is that you want to basically move a phone line, correct?

You can grab CAT5 cable and take one pair within the CAT5 and connect it to the phone line, run the cable to the destination and terminate the CAT5 to a new phone jack. Then for ADSL, yes, plug the filter as you normally would.

Master socket?

Thanks for the response JorgeM,

By the "Master Socket" I am referring to the main telephone socket for the line. It is where the line comes in from the outside, and is terminated on the inside of the house.

And yes, I am essentially just wanting to move the phone line from one location to another location.

Check with your phone company but I would tend to think that box belongs to you. Their demarc maybe the equipment that is located in the area of your property that's reserved for utilities.

Again, you can extend or add additional jacks in your home by simply connecting wire in parallel to an existing line.

You can add additional runs/drops by running cable from that master box.

I've done it in several homes that I've lived in and never had a problem with my carrier.

Thanks for the response, I'll give them a quick ring and see how it goes.