Hello- I am an IT student starting a project paper. Could any of you proffesional aministrators give me some ideas on a basic design for this scenario?

I am building a LAN for a staffing agency on a Server 2008 R2 platform. It is a small business with 50 workstations split into 2 subnets. I'm thinking a couple of DC's also running DHCP/DNS/VPN with a WSUS server and an application server running some ERP software. Also maybe a copy of IIS on a server for the website?

I do not know where to start as far as getting the internal network secure. A DMZ possibly and how that look on a network map? A layer three switch to add 4 branch offices later a create a VLAN maybe? Any ideas on the best hardware to use?

Any ideas or suggestions of how this little LAN would look would be highly appreciated. I have no hands-on experience; I have been studying networking but I am a complete novice when it comes to the real world. I could be totally missing the whole thing. If so set me straight and tell me the best solution; it must be a Windows network however

Thanks- jwelch1

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

So, you would like us to do your paper for you? Do we get credit for that? Please, even if you have no hands-on experience, you should have the theoretical underpinnings well enough in-hand at this point to do the work. That is the point, isn't it? To use your brain to work out the scenarios as well as you can, and then let the professor grade you on your work, which will help you learn where you went wrong. If we give you all the answers, then what DO you learn? As far as I'm concerned, that is simple cheating!

So, you would like us to do your paper for you? Do we get credit for that? Please, even if you have no hands-on experience, you should have the theoretical underpinnings well enough in-hand at this point to do the work. That is the point, isn't it? To use your brain to work out the scenarios as well as you can, and then let the professor grade you on your work, which will help you learn where you went wrong. If we give you all the answers, then what DO you learn? As far as I'm concerned, that is simple cheating!

Thank you rubberman. You are very helpful.I suppose any discussion of this scenario is equal to someone writing my paper and submitting it for me? If anyone out there has any suggestions beyond criticism I would be very grateful. I'm trying to learn, and any accusations that I am lazy or trying to cheat saddens me. I have been driving a truck for over 20 years and studying for a degree on the side while raising 3 three children.

I am MCITP among others and I have been presented with such a simple scenario for an ADDS environment. I did not mean to short-cut the learning process. I just wanted some imput from those that do networking every day. I apologize if that is offensive to anyone.

Ok. Always be clear on what you are trying to accomplish. I only responded to what you said in your original posting. Work up your scenario a bit more fully, and I'm sure that I and others here will be happy to critique it. In any case, I admire someone who has been working a schlub (but honorable) job and is trying to improve their lot in life. To that end, I apologize if I implied you are lazy - I'm sure that is far from the truth. Anyway, have a great holiday season, and I wish you the very best New Year!

BTW, for a system this small, more than one domain controller is probably overkill. Also, are you limited to Microsoft software (IIS, DC, etc)? Or can you consider other web servers and network controllers such as Linux, Apache/Tomcat, OpenLDAP, etc?

Ok. Always be clear on what you are trying to accomplish. I only responded to what you said in your original posting. Work up your scenario a bit more fully, and I'm sure that I and others here will be happy to critique it. In any case, I admire someone who has been working a schlub (but honorable) job and is trying to improve their lot in life. To that end, I apologize if I implied you are lazy - I'm sure that is far from the truth. Anyway, have a great holiday season, and I wish you the very best New Year!

I think you are right. I had an epiphany driving to the store a few minutes ago. I went about it all wrong. I need to write the paper and attach it; then ask for input.

I have learned so much and have a basic understanding of networking but putting it all together is something different. I guess maybe I just need confidence because I do know what I need to know about it. I just need to put it all together. I just do not know where to start. Have a great holiday and God bless!

BTW, for a system this small, more than one domain controller is probably overkill. Also, are you limited to Microsoft software (IIS, DC, etc)? Or can you consider other web servers and network controllers such as Linux, Apache/Tomcat, OpenLDAP, etc?

The focus of the whole paper is demonstrating an understanding of Windows networks. Thanks for your reply though.

The focus of the whole paper is demonstrating an understanding of Windows networks. Thanks for your reply though.

Ok. Re-work it and post it here. I'll be happy to be as critical as I can! :-)

Just remember the KISS principal. It works really well for any complex system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.