ShawnMuller 0 Newbie Poster

Hi,

We are currently running a business center where we profide amongst other things, a shared internet connection to all the tenants. We have one office printer (Kyocera Mita KM 3530) which connected via NIC to network and has it's own IP.

I have three problems.

1. Up until last week, PC's on different IP Ranges eg. 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.20.2 have been able to print to the printer, via TCP-IP port. The printer is on IP 192.168.1.5, subnet 255.255.0.0 The PC's all used subnet 255.255.255.0. Since last week, only PC's on the same IP range as the printer can print. Nothing on the printer was changed, but now to print from 192.168.20.2, I have to open the subnet to 255.255.0.0 to be able to print. This behaviour appears on about 5 PC's, all running windows XP. Was this perhaps a security patch from XP? Each IP Ranged is assigned to a different company, so there as no mass upgrade or setting change. Is their a workaround?

2. Given that all the company's want to remain on their IP ranges and are not eager to open the subnet, for security reasons, what else can I do to share the printer? I was thinking of installing the printer on a server running a web server, eg Apache, setting up the printer as an internet printer. I have no idea how to do this, by the way. Can I run the print server on IP 192.168.1.5. Will this be accessable to all the IP Ranges, even with their subnet on 255.255.255.0?

3. Some of the companies connect via VPN to another city. At the moment, when they open their subnet, they are still unable to print to the printer, because the VPN directs all the 192.168 traffic to the VPN LAN. Any ideas on how to get around that? They use FortiClient.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shawn