There are approximately 20 users in my company; all are using Outlook XP or Outlook 2000. One person is having consistent problems receiving e-mail; send/receive status hangs at 50% or so and then eventually times out. Some messages do trickle in. He was using Outlook XP and I found that there is a known bug that may cause mail delivery to "hang"; I upgraded him to Outlook 2003 and he is still having the same problems. Server is running Windows 2000. I am consistently receiving warnings in the event log of the server stating "DNS registration failed because there is no DNS server available"; could this have something to do with the mail delivery problems? I tried an offline defragmentation and his mail seemed to work fine for a week or two; now it's back to having problems again. Any ideas as to what could be causing this and how to fix it?? Please help.....I have no idea what to do.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I neglected to mention in my post that the error the person is receiving is that the connection to the server was interrupted when receiving e-mail. This error appears whenever he clicks "send/receive". I have gotten several disk errors as well on the server, saying that the disk has a bad block. Could this be contributing to the problems w/ e-mail as well? Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Do you get any errors in the event log of the Exchange server when this person clicks send/receive? If so there should be a ID that will help more than a generic client end message.

no, there is no error being logged on the server when he clicks send/receive.

What are the DNS servers on the PC? "ipconfig /all" will show you the ones in use. Are those the same as your PC?

I will have to check the computer that is having the problems on Monday to see if the DNS server addresses match. The server is listing 2 DNS addresses.
If the server and the client computers match for the DNS addresses, any other ideas as to what I can do to nail this problem down? Would the server's hard drive having bad blocks be contributing to any of this? (Thank you for responding to me...I appreciate it immensely).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.