For the past few months, my home network has seemingly become less and less stable. It appears as if my router continues to drop it's connection. Recycling router will eventually resolve connectivity issues, but it's become a real nuisance. It wasn't always like this, but nothing has really changed on the network, so I'm not sure what the cause is. I've read about every forum and Google search result that I can, but am still not sure what tact to take.
Here's the specs:
Simple home network. Cable to modem/Modem to Linksys wireless router. Only 2 computers on the network. One connecting wirelessly.

Router: DHCP Server Enabled, Auto Config
Client Lease Time: set to 0

Event Viewer Log: Most common error message I see and seems to coincide with dropped connection times:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Dhcp
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 6/25/2007
Time: 8:19:31 PM
User: N/A
Computer: FAMILY
Description:
The IP address lease 192.168.1.101 for the Network Card with network address xxxxxxxxxxxx has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message).

I've read a lot of posts claiming that I should assign Static IP addresses and this might resolve. I'm semi-techie, not a full fledged member and that sounds a bit beyond me. Also saw posts telling me to change lease time to 9999. However I thought the point of my current set-up was that it would auto-renew???

This just occurred to me. Computers are normally left on continuously and only re-booted when there are issues. Could this be contributing?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Do you have the latest firmware version?

Check the linksys website for the latest firmware of your model router (model on the bottom of the router).

check the firmware of your router by going to 192.168.1.1 and use admin/admin for user and password. look at the top right corner and see if the firmware versions match.

If this doesn't make since, let us know and maybe myself or someone else can help if you get stuck.

I had already updgraded the firmware and that didn't help or hurt the situation.
I've been into the router and all the settings seem directionally correct, but that may be my ignorance above anything else. Suffice to say, I haven't changed anything to create this problem.

Additional details:
Running Windows XP SP2 on both machines
Linksys WRTG54G wireless router
Linksys Cable Modem
Road Runner Broadband Service
Client Lease Time set to 0

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.