Hello everyone,

I want to design my own distribution of Linux, I downloaded DSL (Damn Small Linux) distribution (wich is a LiveCD) but I couldn't edit anything at all!
I think I have to get the source code not the compiled one.
Can anyone tell me where can I find a source code for Linux system so I can modify it for my own needs?? AND which programming language I need to modify Linux???

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This is not a computer science or software design question.

Anyway, Linux distributions generally have some norms for how packages are distributed and installed. So first you need to think about that. There already exist package management systems to use -- for example, Ubuntu uses Debian's. Then there's the question of what's installed by default, how it's configured, etc etc etc.

And then there's a whole bunch of stuff I am not mentioning because I don't know much about this topic besides the generic obvious information. But that's what happens when you ask in the wrong place.

I heard that Linux is open-source, meaning that its CODE can be modified by any programmer.
My question is: What programming language (C++, ASM, etc) shall I need to edit the source code of Linux, and where can I get the Source code ??

google "linux source code downloads"

I heard that Linux is open-source, meaning that its CODE can be modified by any programmer.
My question is: What programming language (C++, ASM, etc) shall I need to edit the source code of Linux, and where can I get the Source code ??

The linux kernel is written in C and some assembly, the GNU coreutils are usually written in C as well
You can get the source to the linux kernel at kernel.org, and the GNU coreutils source is at gnu.org

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.