I've already taken an intro level physics course at my University where we discussed the basics (boolean algebra, logic gates, etc.) But we never covered VHDL. I really want to learn more about VHDL.

I'm not sure were to get started. I tried googling for information however, I'm not sure I quite understand how VHDL is supposed to work?

I keeping reading about VHDL simulators and I have no idea what there taking about.

Could someone explain to me what I need to get started with VHDL development?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I'm getting started myself and bought FPGA Prototypeing by VHDL Examples, the Xilinx Spartan-3 Version, by Pong P. Chu, and I ordered a Spartan 3E from Diligent, which should come Monday. I have only seen good reviews of the book, and if you wait a few weeks, I'll tell you how it goes.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

VHDL simulators are basically just that.

It's software where you can set up a shed load of gate configurations.

Then you can run simulations to see what output it produces. I've used xilinx before to simulate a spiking neuron model but never got the chance to see it driven with actual hardware.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.