I've just been presented with a challenge, of sorts, and I am wondering what language I should use in order to make a piece of software.
The only specifications which the language will need to have are:
- Must be relatively common (Not some small language that no one ever uses)
- Must be fairly easy to compile (So I don't need to go searching for some obscure compiler which I then need to pay a fortune for)
- Preferably it must be reasonably simple to learn, I should be able to pick up a new language in the time frame for this project but I'm not really interesting in wasting weeks or months laboring away learning a language.
- Be commonly used to create both text based applications and perhaps simple games, so if I need help I can look this sort of thing up
Anyway, with those things in mind here are the specifications for the program I am aiming at writing. The language must potentially be able to:
- Enable transfer of information over a network, eg text in a chat based manner or variable values in terms of perhaps a simple game played over a network.
- Have some known way to transferring files over a network, I'm going to assume that this sort of thing isn't built into a language but it needs to be possible.
- Have some sort of graphical component, ie not simply be a command line.
If anyone has any idea what language would be most suitable to this sort of task then that would be great.
This leads onto my second question to do with language choice:
Is it possible to write some code in one language which runs a program written in another language, for example: could one write a game in one language and some software in another language which searches for online users, then after selecting a user load the game written in the other language? or something to this effect?
Thanks guys, anyone with answers please post here, I'm somewhat stumped for answers for this.