Hey guys,

I've just been presented with a challenge, of sorts, and I am wondering what language I should use in order to make a piece of software.

The only specifications which the language will need to have are:

• Must be relatively common (Not some small language that no one ever uses)
  • Must be fairly easy to compile (So I don't need to go searching for some obscure compiler which I then need to pay a fortune for)
  • Preferably it must be reasonably simple to learn, I should be able to pick up a new language in the time frame for this project but I'm not really interesting in wasting weeks or months laboring away learning a language.
  • Be commonly used to create both text based applications and perhaps simple games, so if I need help I can look this sort of thing up

Anyway, with those things in mind here are the specifications for the program I am aiming at writing. The language must potentially be able to:

• Enable transfer of information over a network, eg text in a chat based manner or variable values in terms of perhaps a simple game played over a network.
  • Have some known way to transferring files over a network, I'm going to assume that this sort of thing isn't built into a language but it needs to be possible.
  • Have some sort of graphical component, ie not simply be a command line.

If anyone has any idea what language would be most suitable to this sort of task then that would be great.

This leads onto my second question to do with language choice:

Is it possible to write some code in one language which runs a program written in another language, for example: could one write a game in one language and some software in another language which searches for online users, then after selecting a user load the game written in the other language? or something to this effect?

Thanks guys, anyone with answers please post here, I'm somewhat stumped for answers for this.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Well I'm confused, you haven't specified specifically what you are trying to do.

Although from what I have gathered you want to create a program that can:
Allow users chat with each other (similar to MSN sort of thing)
Allow users to send files to each other
Allow users to play simple games with each other

Now, Personally I have a similar task in mind for a school based assignment (Hence how I found this thread) and was wondering the same thing, although I personally have a few other things in mind, read over these and see if they help you with your project:
Program more oriented as a chat room program, users can start or join a chat room.
Users can create private chat room or create an open one, or just chat to another individual users
The interface is simple, application style interface, you know the normal grey with the square buttons, therefore being familiar to everyone.

Well I'm confused, you haven't specified specifically what you are trying to do.

Although from what I have gathered you want to create a program that can:
Allow ............................ etc

That is almost exactly what I was trying to say, thanks for helping me clarify

Anyway, if anyone has an opinion the most suitable language then please post.

Also, with my second question, I may not have explained it properly, the question is:
Assuming one could use a program written in Language A to find a list of online users could that person use the program written in Language A to play a game written in Language B with that other user, ie could the IP be carried between executable?

Python. You just want Python.

Python. You just want Python.

Thanks, but can you write ..... ummm... I don't know how to say it, like applications which are similar to other windows applications..... if that makes sense.

For example most applications that are run on windows have the same general feel about them, can you do this sort of thing in python? and is it relatively easy to do?

For example most applications that are run on windows have the same general feel about them, can you do this sort of thing in python? and is it relatively easy to do?

Yes and Yes :)
There's a great thread in our Python forum to start with

C# The .Net FrameWork will provide you with almost everything you need. And its very quick and easy to learn. Plus there are tons of examples out there.

Just download C# Express and you'll be on your way.

Java has an easy to work with GUI.

I suggest Python as well. What did you decide?

hey guys, haven't been able to get online for a little while, thanks for all the responses, it seems as if most people seem to be saying I should use python, and at the moment that appears to a pretty good choice.

I'll probably spend a little while looking at python, but also at C# and Java (other suggestions) just check out which seems like the best to me, anyway thanks heaps for the help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.