I am new to compiler construction. I wanted to use lex tool. I found these two while searching on the internet.
1) Gnu Flex
2) Pargen
Any other better option available ?
But I am not able to use them. How do I get start with it ? I am not getting how to use these tools ?
Please help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

> Any other better option available ?
What's your definition of "better"?

> How do I get start with it ?
Read the manual.

> I am not getting how to use these tools ?
Read a tutorial, then read the manual.

By better, as I mentioned before, I didn't know about these tools. What I knew was just a "lex tool" but i didn't find anything exactly of that name.
I am using windows, when I installed flex, all the manuals in various formats got installed, but its given nowhere how to use it for lexical analysis.

Thanx for the book link. But this deals with linux and I am using windows

That's odd.

Because the book deals with how to use the tools, not what OS they're running on (which is irrelevant).

>I am new to compiler construction.
Cool. It's a fun an interesting area.

>I wanted to use lex tool.
I strongly recommend writing everything by hand at first. You can use generators when you understand the principles behind the generators and want to work faster. It's much like using a binary search tree library. A good idea in practice, but you shouldn't eschew learning how to write binary search trees simply because the library is available.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.