I have been asked to make a proposal for a new IT testing & development environment at work but I have no idea where to start.
We are a small team of 3-4 developers and will be developing in a variety of languages for a variety of applications, inculding:
- databases (Oracle & MS SQL Server),
- web services on a custom integration layer (as in SOA not Internet),
- SharePoint & web applications,
- proprietary applications (e.g. Remedy, Vantage, NetSuite)
and we run both Linux and Windows servers.
We need an IDE (or an IDE-like solution) that can:
- cater for code / UI development, debugging, etc.
- manage source and document control (versioning & releases)
- merge development streams with conflict resolution
- provide / plug into a test environment
- manage work item tracking (nice, not essential)
If anyone has ANY suggestions of systems worth considering or where I might look to find more information on this sort of issue, I would be eternally grateful! :o)