I have been asked to make a proposal for a new IT testing & development environment at work but I have no idea where to start.

We are a small team of 3-4 developers and will be developing in a variety of languages for a variety of applications, inculding:
- databases (Oracle & MS SQL Server),
- web services on a custom integration layer (as in SOA not Internet),
- SharePoint & web applications,
- proprietary applications (e.g. Remedy, Vantage, NetSuite)
and we run both Linux and Windows servers.

We need an IDE (or an IDE-like solution) that can:
- cater for code / UI development, debugging, etc.
- manage source and document control (versioning & releases)
- merge development streams with conflict resolution
- provide / plug into a test environment
- manage work item tracking (nice, not essential)

If anyone has ANY suggestions of systems worth considering or where I might look to find more information on this sort of issue, I would be eternally grateful! :o)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thanks. I was hoping for a "one app does all" quick fix response but I guess that's just not practical! I will now go start digging through the lists.... :o)

Thanks. I was hoping for a "one app does all" quick fix response but I guess that's just not practical! I will now go start digging through the lists.... :o)

Most systems which can handle a great variety of tasks, do a shitty job in all of them. It's (in most cases) better to get the right tool for the right job.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.