does anyone know which specific randomization algorithm the ipod shuffle uses to shuffle its songs? desperately need it for my thesis. thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

My experience with iPods, is that the shuffle is never very random and sometimes repeats patterns. I'm not sure if it compares similarities(that have been previously assessed) and attempts follows each song with another of similar attack or other parameters.

My experience with iPods, is that the shuffle is never very random and sometimes repeats patterns. I'm not sure if it compares similarities(that have been previously assessed) and attempts follows each song with another of similar attack or other parameters.

i was kind of hoping for the specific name of the algorithm they use, if there is any, but thanks anyway. any kind of help is appreciated. :)

It's more than likely proprietary, and Apple is its own totalitarian regime when it comes to trade secrets.

Audio engineering is not something I'm quite studied in.

i was kind of hoping for the specific name of the algorithm they use

You're not the first person to ask, and Apple hasn't been forthcoming, so it's a safe bet that they don't want you to know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.