I really want to build an operating system.
Can somebody out there help me?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for Josue198s

Start by reading on Minix3 or Unix..download their kernel source code and study how the OS then from there try developing something similar to that good luck..i got a B for Operating Systems this year it was cool..

Member Avatar for Josue198s

http://www.minix3.org/
Operating Systems Design and Implementation, Third Edition
By Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Albert S. Woodhull - Amherst, Massachusetts

Linus Torvalds started hacking on minix, and then started his own OS - it was at least 2-3 years before it was released into the wild, and is now the most widely used OS in the world! :-) If you really want to do this, then I suggest tackling a more "advanced" architecture, such as a micro-kernel message passing OS. For reference material, see Thoth, Plan-9, QNX, Amiga OS.

Undergraduates do this all the time in their Operating Systems courses. Find some notes online.

Undergraduates do this all the time in their Operating Systems courses. Find some notes online.

Well, what they do is usually a Q&D (Quick and Dirty) little mini-OS. More a run-time executive than anything else. There is no time even in an advanced undergraduate course to do much more than that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.