I have a friend who is considering persuing the field of computer science. She is 28 years old and wants to develop software programs for gaming as well as educational instruction. Her mathematical aptitude is at the pre-algebra level but she is very ambitious and sincere. I know nothing of this field so I thought it be best to get some very serious and honest input from those who "work in the field"
1) What are the prospects for a female in this field and will her age be a hinderance, meaning to old to start?
2) What classes will she need to take/concentrate in and how important is math and where does she stand?
3) What is the demand for software engineers like and average starting salary?
4) Should she persue a degree in computer science or engineering and what will she need a bachelor's or master's?
5) Is the field highly stressful or laid back?
6) What has been your ecperience in the field been like and what kind of advice would you offer?
I promised her that I would get her input from good people like yourselves who can give an honest picture so that she can make an informed decision based on your insight, knowledge and expertise.
Thank you for your dedication......Justine :lol: