Hi!! I am fairly new to computer science and programming. I am interested in doing the Google Code-Jam competition. It is a contest for programming that asks algorithms. Problem is, I have no clue how to even begin to solve these problems! Do I create an html code? JS? What do I do?!?!?! Apparently it is ACM ICPC, whatever that is. Basically the only programming I know is web-design html. If you could just point me in the right direction, it would be MUCH appreciated!!! THANKS!!! :):):):):):):):):):)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

In this context, an algorithm is basically a programmatical solution to a problem. You really should read this page. It will answer most of your questions.

I would suggest you to read the first chapter of the book Introduction to Algorithms by CLRS here. It has one of the best introductions to algorithms.

html is the base of web designing nothing a complet program it is best for you that you try to understan the basic program to clear the logic ho to design its best step to that strugle that you have intrest to learn some thing about algorith, to designing algirithem also depending on your mently aproch but evry thing is possible, search basic algorithem then increas with your mind.

Start learning a programming language like Python, C etc and grab a good book on algorithms. For example, you may read the book by Cormen et al. and start implementing the algorithms in that programming language.

Try to find the most basic algorithms for sorting and searching using c, c++ or java. Then you can move from there.

ACM ICPC only lets you code in Java, C, and C++. There maybe more, but they are all compiled languages for certain though last year they started a small scripting language section it was separate from the actual contest and experimental.

If you are teaching yourself from scratch I would recommend the book(s) by Malik such as the one linked here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.