Hi,

If someone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it!

I installed SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows Server 2003. This server is due to take over from our present Windows 2000 Server. It was my first time doing a SQL install, so I ended up calling the instance servername\databasename which is annoying as I can’t change it now.

Anyway, I created a database and overwrote it with a copy from our live machine. All looking good, I then couldn’t connect via ODBC from my client PC (XPSP2). I was getting the error:

Connection Failed:SQLState:
‘01000’SQL Server Error: 53
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]ConnectionOpen(Connect()).
Connection Failed:
SQLState: ‘08001’
SQL Server Error: 17
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][Named Pipes]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

I mirrored the exact settings that were in the Client and Server Network Utility consoles on the 2000 server, but I still couldn’t connect. (The settings on the Windows 2000 machine were all defaulted). I tried a myriad of combinations of settings on the server machine, and in the client configuration utility of my xp machine, but to no avail.

I tried to follow a couple of online postings I found, but I really just ended up confusing myself further.. THEN, I remembered I never installed the service pack… soo I installed SP4, and after a reboot, SQL Server failed to start, so I started it manually. Then I noticed SQL agent hadn’t started so I tried to start it but it refusing to start. I’ve rebooted twice and still I’m getting the same result.

I am also getting the following three errors in event log (I’ll start with the first one entered):

Source:MSSQL$Database
Category: [2]
EventID: 17052

Description:
Error 17882, Severity: 18, State: 1
Error accepting connection request via Net-Library ‘SSNETLIB’. Execution continuing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description:
Error 17882, Severity: 18, State: 0
Operating system error 53: The network path was not found.

Description:
Error 17882, Severity: 18, State: 0
No longer waiting for client connections using Net-Library’SSNETLIB’

Is this a righteous mess up? Will I have to reinstall? As everything looked okay on the server before I tried the ODBC, SQL dependent front end applications that are very configuration heavy have been installed and I’m afraid a SQL reinstall might mess things up [Sad]

Any help I would most appreciate it!

Thanks

-Emily

Hi,

I ended up reinstalling SQL and the problem was no more. What I did different during the install was choose mixed-mode as a security setting so that was probably what I did wrong in my first install.

Live and learn!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.