My manager has just asked me to research whether it would be possible to restore a previously fully backed up database into two or more filegroups, with each filegroup being on a separate drive using SQL Server 2008. I know that if I were backing up the database to begin with, I could do filegroup backups. But this backup has already been performed, and my boss wants to know if it can be restored to two different drives using filegroups. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No ... you're backing up a copy of an existing database, so you want to restore the database as-it-was. The original database should have multiple filegroups if that is how you are intending for it to operate. You could basically duplicate the structure and replicate the data to the new DB to get around this.

Great help... thanks a lot!!

You're welcome

Please mark this thread as solved if you have found an answer to your question and good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.